Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Arlen264
Reel Rookie

Roku Express, HEVC and DLNA support...

Jump to solution

A very similar query to this from 2020:

Can someone confirm that the Roku Express (3930EU-GB) supports HEVC and will allow me to pick up from any server over DLNA? HEVC isn't limited to those models that support 4K playback? Is playback of media over DLNA still as straightforward as @atc98092 suggested in that previous thread?

Also, while I don't need 4K support, would the faster processor, extra RAM, ethernet support and supposedly more robust wi-fi in the Express 4K, be worth an extra £11?

Grateful for any guidance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express, HEVC and DLNA support...

Jump to solution

At least for US models, only 4K capable players support HEVC. I doubt the Express 3930 will play them. We have the same model here (just without the EU extension) and it does not support HEVC. 

Media still plays just fine for me from my DLNA server. But Roku Media Player does have a flaw in that you can't pause/FF/rewind/resume TS files (TS/M2TS). Works fine with MKV or MP4 videos, just not TS. And since all of my recorded TV broadcasts are in TS containers, I have to plan to watch without pausing.     

Just realized I didn't answer your question about the Express 4K. I have one and it's quite powerful. I would absolutely recommend it over the basic Express version.           

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
atc98092

Jump to solution

At least for US models, only 4K capable players support HEVC. I doubt the Express 3930 will play them. We have the same model here (just without the EU extension) and it does not support HEVC. 

Media still plays just fine for me from my DLNA server. But Roku Media Player does have a flaw in that you can't pause/FF/rewind/resume TS files (TS/M2TS). Works fine with MKV or MP4 videos, just not TS. And since all of my recorded TV broadcasts are in TS containers, I have to plan to watch without pausing.     

Just realized I didn't answer your question about the Express 4K. I have one and it's quite powerful. I would absolutely recommend it over the basic Express version.           

Dan

Arlen264
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks so much, Dan.

The lack of HEVC support kind of makes up my mind for me with regard to opting for the Express 4K now, but your testimonial and recommendation about its power and performance is really good to have. I have other means to playback TS files from my Humax recorder, so that's a bug I can live with.

Cheers again!

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Yeah, it's not that they won't play. You just can't use any trick play, including pause, which is the biggest issue for me. Absolutely must pause playback when the wife wants to talk to me. 😄

The only difference between the Express 4K and the 4K+ is that the plus version has a WiFi Direct remote, which I prefer. If they offer both versions there, in my opinion it's worth the slightly higher price for the plus, since buying a WiFi Direct remote separately is much more costly. But if you're happy with the IR remote, save the money. The player is otherwise identical. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Arlen264
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

If only Roku remotes had a mute button for... Smiley Wink

I've only ever had IR remotes thus far, and with the current deals on offer on limited models, I've ordered the Express 4K, to be collected tomorrow. Looking forward to having one less hack to negotiate to watch my movies.

Thanks for the guidance again, Dan!

0 Kudos