Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
truckmann
Reel Rookie

Roku Express 4k+ breaks ARC connection

Jump to solution

I just got a Roku Express 4k+ and have found that it is breaking my ARC connection between my Samsung UN65KU6300 TV and Anthem MRX 510 receiver. It doesn't matter if I have the Roku plugged into the TV or the receiver or what input the receiver is on. When I turn the system on the TV will no longer control the volume through ARC. The only fix I've found is to unplug the Roku from the HDMI before turning the TV on. Doing that fixes the ARC link and I can plug the Roku back in. It will then work fine until I turn off the TV and receiver. I'm hoping there's a solution to this before having to unplug the Roku before turning things on Everytime is annoying. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
truckmann
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Express 4k+ breaks ARC connection

Jump to solution

I gave up on the Express 4k+ and am sending them back. I got a Roku Stick+ and it didn't interfere with the ARC/CEC connection when I tested it. I also ended up getting a Chromecast with Google TV. It's what I'm using now on my main TV. I like the interface and remote better. I might use the Stick on the bedroom TV. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Try turning off the 1-touch play in 4k+ settings. Then refresh the cec devices in the tv settings.

Settings> system> control other devices> uncheck 1-touch play box

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
truckmann
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I tried turning that setting off and it didn't help. I will try it again. 

0 Kudos
truckmann
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Nope turning off the device control doesn't help. It's acting like the Roku being in the system interferes with the ARC handshake between the TV and receiver. Disappointing, I may have to send it back. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@truckmann 

Power everything off (unplug your Roku/TV/AVR from AC) for 5-10 minutes.

Then turn them fully on in this order (wait until it powers fully on/boots before powering on the next):

1) AVR

2) TV

3) Roku (and other devices)

See if that resolves it.

0 Kudos
truckmann
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I gave up on the Express 4k+ and am sending them back. I got a Roku Stick+ and it didn't interfere with the ARC/CEC connection when I tested it. I also ended up getting a Chromecast with Google TV. It's what I'm using now on my main TV. I like the interface and remote better. I might use the Stick on the bedroom TV. 

0 Kudos
Krisch316
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I had the same issue back in May...but I had an extra Roku Premium on hand on another tv Soni swapped them.  Forgot about all this and recently the Roku Premium died Soni got another Express Plus 4K...and my ARC issues came back.  Sending back the Express Plus and order a Streaming Stick 4K...Cyber Monday Deal...hoping this doesn't have the issue.

0 Kudos
Krisch316
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Update: bought a express 4k plus...breaks arc.  Returned and bought streaming stick 4k...breaks arc.  I was replacing an older Roku premiere which had wifi issues...bought another one and my ARC connections are fine.  Something definite going on with arc and new rokus.

My setup is:

LG 86UN8570PUC

Nakamichi Soundwave 7.1 Pro DTS

Google TV w/ Chromecast

PS5

Roku Premiere

I only have a Roku on this tv for the rest of the family as every TV has one and it's just ease of use.

0 Kudos
Vodi1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

For $20 on Amazon you can by an HDMI CEC-less adapter that will block CEC signals in and out of the ROKU (wire 13).  I have used this to be able make ARC from my LG Smart TV work with my MRX. So now I can use ARC, the SMART TV and a ROKU as I choose.

Basically adds $20 to the cost of the ROKU becuase they won't add that as a setting.

0 Kudos
Tony-M
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue in my settings. I have a Vizio 80 with a Vizio soundbar connected thru the HDMI/ARC which it worked perfectly with Comcast flex box but I returned it and got the Roku express 4K+ and at it worked ok until I turned off the Roku. Next time I turn the tv on I have no soundbar only thru the tv speaker. To fixed this problem I have to disconnect the HDMI/ARC cable and reconnect it again. It seems the Roku is disconnecting or breaking the ARC bridge between my tv and soundbar. Now, I am getting the HDMI CEC less adapter as you recommended thru Amazon. My question is this adapter goes in the Tv ARc port right (tv to soundbar) And when I turnoff the tv will also turn the soundbar off?

0 Kudos