Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ecr1014
Reel Rookie

Roku - 4K Stick - HMDI-CEC

Jump to solution

I am encountering a recent issue with my 4K stick and CEC.

Until recently, when I powered on my 4K Stick, it would turn on my home theater console.

However, within the last few weeks, and for no apparent reason, when the Stick is powered on it fails to power up the home theater console.

The 4K Stick, is connected to HDMI 2, a Sony Smart TV, with a connection to the home theater console through the HDMI-ARC port. I confirmed the home theatre system CEC is set to Auto.

To get around the problem, I have to turn on the theatre console separately.

Any thoughts as to why this is happening now?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku - 4K Stick - HMDI-CEC

Jump to solution

@ecr1014 Thanks for the response. You are correct that once the Stick is powered down, the Home button will not do anything. That requires the Stick to be fully booted. It sounds like your TV is not sending the CEC signal to the AVR to turn on any more. The power button on the Roku remote is powering up the TV, but it has no control of the AVR. Your TV is sending a CEC signal to the AVR that is powering it up. For some reason, perhaps a firmware update on the TV, it's no longer sending that signal.

Since you have an AVR for your audio, I might suggest connecting the Roku Stick directly to the AVR input, and let the AVR do the switching instead of the TV doing the work. I would also power the Stick from a full time power source, such as the power cube it came with plugged into the wall outlet or a power strip. That way the Roku is always booted up, and pressing the Home button should turn on the AVR and TV (assuming CEC is working correctly on both of those devices). 

By the way, some TVs (not all of them) have a menu setting that will keep the USB power on at all times, rather than shutting off when the TV is turned "off". You might see if your TV offers that setting if you're going to leave the Stick connected directly to the TV.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
atc98092

Jump to solution

How are you powering on your Roku Stick? If with the power button on the remote, that's not actually turning the Roku "on". The power button on the remote is for controlling the TV power, not the Roku, and it generally uses IR, not CEC, for that function.

If the Stick is always connected to power, it's always "on". Just pressing the Home button on the remote will turn my TV and AVR on, and that is being done via CEC. But CEC isn't available if the Roku is truly powered off and you are powering it up cold. The Roku has to finish booting before CEC will function. 

Dan

0 Kudos
ecr1014
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Dear atc98092,

Thank you for your feedback.

I have been using the Roku remote to power on the TV. I noticed that the Roku Stick remains active as long as the USB port retains power. However, I can confirm that after several hours of the TV being turned off, power to the USB is lost and the Roku Stick powers down.

Today, I attempted to reactivate the Roku Stick using the Home button but was unsuccessful. I had to press the power button instead. The Roku Stick booted up normally; however, the console/AVR did not power up.

Please note that the TV was off for over eight hours overnight.

It is strange to me the powering up the console / AVR is recent as it has worked well before.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@ecr1014 Thanks for the response. You are correct that once the Stick is powered down, the Home button will not do anything. That requires the Stick to be fully booted. It sounds like your TV is not sending the CEC signal to the AVR to turn on any more. The power button on the Roku remote is powering up the TV, but it has no control of the AVR. Your TV is sending a CEC signal to the AVR that is powering it up. For some reason, perhaps a firmware update on the TV, it's no longer sending that signal.

Since you have an AVR for your audio, I might suggest connecting the Roku Stick directly to the AVR input, and let the AVR do the switching instead of the TV doing the work. I would also power the Stick from a full time power source, such as the power cube it came with plugged into the wall outlet or a power strip. That way the Roku is always booted up, and pressing the Home button should turn on the AVR and TV (assuming CEC is working correctly on both of those devices). 

By the way, some TVs (not all of them) have a menu setting that will keep the USB power on at all times, rather than shutting off when the TV is turned "off". You might see if your TV offers that setting if you're going to leave the Stick connected directly to the TV.

Dan

0 Kudos
ecr1014
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi act98092,

I took your suggestion by connecting the Roku Stick to AVR / Console it all worked one exception I had to use my AVR / Console remote to turn on and off the equipment. Having to use multiple remotes did not help especially with my family. Since I moved the Roku Stick back to the TV which is easier to work with.

Ps: my smart TV is Android based I do not have the option to manage USB.

Thank you for your support.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Strange the power button on the Roku remote isn't powering off everything in the HDMI-CEC chain. The remote for my Ultra does it no problem. Turns off the AVR and the TV. You might double-check the CEC settings in the AVR. 

Dan

0 Kudos