Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ahma
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku 3 - MicroSD Info Please

Jump to solution

am aware only need 2 as is for storage only thank you

0 Kudos
d51
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Bought new Roku Ultra and I still see the ad for the 2 gig Roku card. I thought the new Roku would not require the card. I see it's still loads up at times. Just an annoyance in confusion for me but everything works

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The "new" Ultra (the 4800) doesn't have a microSD slot, so you may just be seeing the ad because of other Roku devices linked to your Roku account.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
musicislove
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Oh that is interesting @renojim I had not noticed that the latest Roku Ultra did not have a slot for the microSD card .

I just bought a Roku Ultra for a family member.

Anyway I got it up and running with ZERO problems!

Way to go Roku!

0 Kudos
RP_MTL
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I've read various posts online about microSD cards larger than 8GB not being recognized. I just installed an 8GB Class 10 card, which cost about twice much larger ones do, and it works fine. But it had me wondering if there might be a workaround to allow using larger cards.

I use Windows 10 and know that its Disk Management utility can remove the existing partition on a USB card (or stick) and create and format a new partition that can be much smaller than the card's full capacity. I wonder how the ROKU would behave if a 32GB partition was replaced with an 8GB one? I suspect it would work fine. If you don't feel comfortable messing with the partition on your microSD card then just ask some geeky friend to do it for you. I hope this works and avoids the need to buy a microSD card when you've already got one that's simply too big.

0 Kudos
RP_MTL
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Just to add ... the microSD slot on the older Roku3 is just below the HDMI input. The card needs to be inserted with the contacts facing up and there's a spring mechanism that the card locks into when it's pushed all the way in so the edge of the microSD card sits flush with the slot. I needed to use my thumbnail on the edge of the card to push it in far enough to it stayed in. To remove it I suspect I would push it further in again with my thumbnail and the spring mechanism would then push it back out of the slot. I think folks experiencing problems are just not pushing the card in far enough for the spring mechanism to keep it inserted all the way.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

It's not that larger cards are not recognized, although that is the case with some larger cards. It's that the Roku won't use more than about 2 GB of the card space, regardless of the card's capacity. So there's no benefit to using larger cards. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
RP_MTL
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for the clarification, Dan. There's conflicting info on using larger cards so I thought it best to just stick to an 8GB. Note that it's a Verbatim 8GB microSD Class 10 card.

Russell

0 Kudos
jjmffca

Jump to solution

Yes, it's hidden beneath the HDMI receptacle, no label. Thx!

0 Kudos
JayZ714714

Jump to solution

Totally worked!  
gold little bars facing up toward the top of the Roku unit. 

0 Kudos