Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NYJack
Streaming Star

Roku 12.5 Missing Key Features

I have a Roku TV TCL Model 55S535, Hardware ID A119X, Software version 12.5.0 - build 4162-88 and have a Roku Streambar Model 9102R Software version 12.0.0 build 4184-95.

I was able to update the Roku TV to 12.5 but it is missing 2 features that I read about:

• The apps/channels are still in a 3 across format - I think that was supposed to change to 4 across
  • There is no Continue Watching menu choice, although when I go to what To Watch there is a Continue Watching choice there; this is no different that 12.0

I had to do a factory reset in order to successfully get the update.

As for my Roku Streambar which is connected to the Roku TV (along with 4 wireless Roku speakers and a wireless Roku subwoofer). I haven’t been able to update the Streambar to 12.5. I did a factory reset with the Streambar but was still not able to get 12.5.

The 12.5 features I’ve mentioned above would be very helpful but for whatever reason they are not there. 

Has anyone else had these issues?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku 12.5 Missing Key Features

@NYJack-

The 12.5 rollout was said to begin on Sept 12.  Yours is only the 2nd report I've seen of anybody having received it.

Rollouts are done individual Roku installation by individual Roku installation, with an update schedule known only to Roku. If you have multiple Rokus, they may not become eligible for the update at the same time, even if they are the same Roku model.

Roku menu path Settings > System > System update will show you your current Roku version number. Down in the lower left corner of this screen it will also show you when your last update was installed.

I haven't seen 12.5 yet myself, but I think the display of the Continue Watching bar and choice of 3x3 or 4x4 channel grid are supposed to be options listed in Settings > Home screen.  In the past some Roku updates have just set the stage for features that were added later - I don't know if that is the case here.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
denhow
Roku Guru

I received the 12.5 update last night. My experience is the same as @NYJack. I still have a 3x3 layout and I can't find a menu item to change to 4x4. I also do not have the Continue Watching bar.

I'm not unhappy about any of this. I have a 43 inch TV and did not want the smaller channel icons. Although the option would be ok, I suppose.

atc98092

The 4x4 layout is an independent update from the OS itself. Roku uses what is commonly referred to as "middleware" for some of the user interface functions, and the grid size appears to be one of them. I expect the 4x4 rollout isn't going to occur until they have the menu function to change sizes also ready to roll out. And that hasn't happened yet either. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
DwainA

I received the 12.5 update on 10/19. I have a 3930X - Roku Express now running 12.5.0 build 4175-AE

ALL of my Apps have disappeared! The only app I've been able to add is the Roku Photo Streams app. To get to any of my saved apps, I have to go to search and call them up with voice search. Even then, there is no way that I have found to add them to my Home screen.

My saved Apps do briefly flash on the screen when the Roku starts up, but then are no more.

I have tried restarting, but to no avail. I'm not ready to factory reset just yet.

Finally, my saved Apps do show on my iPad Roku app.

If Roku support is reading these  - HELP!

0 Kudos
farnsworth

Same issue here!  My solution was to replace my ROKUs with Firesticks.  I have been a ROKU user from the first day a ROKU streamer was available many years ago.

0 Kudos
renojim

@DwainA, I see all kinds of strangeness with the Home Screen and the 12.5 update.  I don't know what Roku is doing (and obviously neither do they), but I think it's some kind of Internet connection issue.  Try restarting all of your network equipment (gateway/modem/router) and if you're using any kind of content blocker or VPN, disable it.  To experiment, you can try connecting to your phone's hotspot to see if you get the Home Screen back, but I wouldn't say that's a solution even if it works.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos