Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mdburkey

Re: Remove the big search box from Roku home screen

Jump to solution

This search bar is one of the most annoying UI changes yet. Get rid of it!

I work in IT and also do TV setups and installations and have both recommended and sold TCL and similar Roku TV's to a lot of people over the years due to their wide compatibility and the simplicity of the interface. Changes that compromise this simplicity, like the search bar, may make me rethink that recommendation in the future.

PiecedOff
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

"This is a great place to leave your feedback for the Home Screen Search Bar, and we'll ensure the product team sees it. "

OK, fair enough.  My constructive deconstruction would be that...

1. Placing a search box between 'Home' and any viewable channels in the channel grid is not desirable.  Searching is something I do by exception.  It is almost never the first thing I do.  This has added a step that is not only unnecessary but actually diminishes the experience.
  2. If the goal is to integrate search into the channel grid it would be better for users if it was added to the shortcuts area.
  3. If the goal was to make search one click away from 'Home' that would be better accomplished by putting it into the left hand menu list immediately below Home.  This would function exactly as the current layout does without intruding into the accessing of viewable channels.  One press of an arrow key to land on 'Search', press OK and you are in the search screen.  From there you navigate directly to the search results.  And without adding a layer to accessing channels.

tb542
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

What a crock of **bleep**! There's already a search option on the left side and it isn't freaking needed - unless your goal is to aggravate the h*ll out of me. Get it off of there and get it off of there now! Morons! Do the programmers just do things to try to justify their jobs regardless if the customers want it or not?

pissoff69
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm one of the chosen...  I hate it. It takes up too much screen real estate.  It would be better as a removable option as most of the other features.

Chazp

Jump to solution

My elderly father can no longer navigate to his app to watch cable. We will have to purchase a different TV. 

tracy_lit5
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm in.....Please remove the Search.

When I turn on my tv, I always know where I want to go.  When I don't, THEN I'll do a search.

I seriously can't believe that most people will want to search for something to watch ahead of knowing where they want to go.

tb542
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

By all means - if it was one of the show or hide options, I'd be more apt to not say anything. But no, the programmers/powers that be who are trying to justify their jobs and make changes that aren't needed decided that their customers WHO DON'T WANT THE BLEEPING SEARCH BAR have to have it as a permanent aggravation. This is one of those fixes for a problem that doesn't exist.

Chicken
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The search bar requires additional and unnecessary user interface navigation, and the search isn't even working (voice search is working).

GET RID OF THIS UI Nuisance.

Jump to solution

Please remove, or give me the option to remove, the search bar.

Snelk

Jump to solution

@ToddBlue68 wrote:

Extra clicks never improves navigation.  It degrades user interaction/navigation for existing users since they've already learned their way around and have their favorite apps at the top.  It's okay if it's on this screen, but it really belongs with the "Add Channels" and "TV Off" buttons, not forcing users through additional navigation they didn't have before.

Please remove it from the first option from the Home Screen and relocate it elsewhere not in the normal user flow (or perhaps my normal flow).  Have you ever surveyed how users use the device?

Arguably, Search belongs on the "What to Watch" screen since Searching is what one is doing on that screen, Searching for What to Watch.

I agree with this.

Adding my voice in the hope that if enough people complain, Roku will decide it is a bad idea and either remove or modify the search box.