Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rawlsrules
Roku Guru

Re: Remove "Categories" and "Browse" from Home Screen

Jump to solution

Keep in mind that Roku does not consider its users to be a significant revenue source. Roku provides their channels and advertisers with an audience, and our function is to be that audience. Roku does have to maintain the audience, but once we pay Roku for the device or the TV, we do not provide direct revenue.

I still wish they would stop adding channels all the time, but at least I can remove them even if I have to do it 12 to 15 times a day.

JCGoodwin
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Glad they made the change. Wish they'd done it before I hooked a nice alternative up to my TV, but I'm glad it was done.

ReasonSeason
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you for listening! 

While the feature isn't quite there for me yet, I like the idea of helping aggregate all of the content from my various services into a single location.  I can see the vision and hope to see it expand (the hardcoded categories don't work very well for me right now).

Thanks!

Zonexero
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Roku, thank you for listening to your customers, hiding those rows was all we wanted.

Prisoner428
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

This worked. Doesn't win any favor but I am glad they listened to all the complaints and fixed it. 

JCGoodwin
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@rawlsrules: "I still wish they would stop adding channels all the time, but at least I can remove them even if I have to do it 12 to 15 times a day."

What do you mean when you say you "have" to remove channels 12 to 15 times a day?

0 Kudos
Solaria
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you!

rawlsrules
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I answered and they didn't post.

I do not "have" to remove them, but I do not want channels that hold no interest for me to be on what is supposed to be my home page.

JCGoodwin
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@rawlsrules: I'm curious as to how that's happening under your settings. They've never added an app that I didn't ask for unless it was part of a 'two-for-one' Roku Channel subscription.

In any case, this whole matter has reminded me that other platforms have some advantages. I urge Roku to not tinker too much with the main thing that's made the company #1: the Home screen.

0 Kudos
kik0
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

First, credit where credit is due. Roku fixed the issue their user base had with the new feature! It is good to know they listen. Now I can move forward with getting the rest of my family on the Roku platform.

However, I'm still salty that Roku tried to push this intrusive feature so blatantly and without any regard on how many of might have felt about it.

Will they take any of this as a lesson on what is acceptable and what is not when it comes to pushing certain features without considering it's user base? Who knows.