Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wanderglobe
Channel Surfer

Re: Remove "Categories" and "Browse" from Home Screen

Jump to solution

Agreed. I don't think it's related to pi-hole either and it's just a fluke that it's gone from my home screen and not others. Sadly it'll probably be back shortly. Let's hope they fix it before then. 

When did it become fashionable to ignore the desires of your customers. Forced updates. Ads in software you've paid for. I'll never understand it. I can guarantee that 99% of people would not remove this. Why force it on the rest of us. 

gsb1

How to Remove "Categories" and "Browse" from Home Screen

Jump to solution

How do I remove THE MORONIC & VERY ANNOYING "Categories", "Browse", and "Recommended"  that are now showing in my home channel menu.  This is not needed, mostly useless, and clutters up my channel menu that I highly prefer to keep simple, clean, and WITHOUT ANY EXTRANEOUS GARBAGE.  If I want to look for something I fully know how to search for something specific in your search menu and DO NOT need any stupid suggestions or 'recommendations'.  If there is a way to hide this it is not very intuitive to find on the setting menu.  Please let us, your customers, know if there is a fix for this problem.  If not the certainly this should be added in your next bug and design flaw fixes.

BTW who was the 'genius' that came up with this idiotic idea that didn't think of or was too lazy to offer any way to disable this.  If you did any actual research you would find MANY Roku customers prefer to have a clean and simple main home menu.  Heed the design concepts of 'less is more' and 'kiss' [AKA keep it simple stupid].

Emissary35
Roku Guru

Re: How to Remove "Categories" and "Browse" from Home Screen

Jump to solution

Totally agree! Adding this junk and not giving us the ability to hide it in the settings is absolutely unacceptable. The people at Roku who designed this were either too stupid to realize most people wouldn't like this or they simply don't care and enjoy forcing unwanted garbage onto everyone's home screen!

I consider this spam and it should be a top priority for removal in the next update. Even if Roku does that who knows how long it will take it's already been many weeks since they implemented these new annoyances to the home screen!

hnbrink
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I *hate* my fire TV. The first one I got was a total lemon (didn't want to do anything) and the replacement was marginally better. I've had relatively ok luck with the TCL Rokus and the interface was easy to use and set up. Now I've deleted about 20 channels I used to use a little and I'm watching all the big ones on my gaming consoles rather than through the TV. I was going to get my mom off her old satellite and onto the TV and streaming services but right now, it's honestly easier to give money to DTV than to let Roku decide they get to dictate even more things they put on an item I spent enough money on that I should have a say in what's on it and what I have to look at/deal with. 

SmilingBob
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I agree that it is not the pihole.  Anecdotally, I updated mine to the newest suspect firmware and it took awhile before the new categories and browse **bleep** showed up.  I don't think they are necessarily linked, other than the new firmware may have been needed to facilitate them pushing it.  This is why I think it would be an easy fix, but I guess we'll see what happens.

andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Correct. The firmware is just the base everything runs on, like Microsoft Windows. Many of the user interface and option changes are small middleware updates sent out at times, or just enabled/disabled when talking to Roku servers.

0 Kudos
aa2019
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

The reason I use Roku is due to it's clean interface.  If that's no longer the case then I might as well use something else.

DRG
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

30+ pages of complaints and nothing done about it,

is the basement joe group in charge here?

I don't want this annoying **bleep** on my screen !

Wanderglobe
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

" I updated mine to the newest suspect firmware and it took awhile before the new categories and browse **bleep** showed up."

That's the weird thing. I did have it and then it went away. It's a TCL Roku TV. 32 Inches. My main internet connection is StarLink which wirelessly connects to a second subnet on a small, USB powered router that uses my pi-hole DNS running on a NAS. I know it's a goofy setup but I live on a sailboat and needed a couple of LAN ports for Plex and a PS5. The YouTube app still connects to the internet so it's not a connectivity error.

I really wish I knew why so I could share with everyone else here.

GoHawks
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Everybody please use the "contact us" feature on the very bottom of the page.

Call, write, or use the chat feature. Whether Roku management engages with us or not please just absolutely flood them with our frustration at their ill conceived garbage they continue to give us.Let them know how you feel.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.