Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yann-gael
Binge Watcher

Re: Remove "Categories" and "Browse" from Home Screen

Jump to solution

@SmilingBob Thanks for the tip... still no luck but that's okay, good trick though 🙂

What's for sure, as soon as a new software update allows me to remove these useless rows (and hopefully the useless item "Streaming Store" from the left list), I'll also block any future software update. Roku really shot their own foot this time. (I wish someone would find a way to root my TV...)

SmilingBob
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@yann-gael Np, too bad it didn't work for you but I think those images will go away eventually.  And I used to block all updates, automatic and otherwise, but I found that doing this would sometimes cause apps to not update properly and then break.  I got lazy and have gotten into the habit of just lowering my shields every couple months to update (auto update blocked) and I got burned.  I guess I will also go back to updating ONLY when absolutely necessary, and just letting these little streamers ride with what they've got.

0 Kudos
kik0
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

So why again did I just buy 3 Roku devices?

Went with this platform over Chromecast and FireTV to escape this kind of intrusive garbage!

Silverlining is I was going to get Roku for my parents and push my siblings to get it as well. No more. Not sure what else I can go with at this point for them but it wont be Roku. May as well then go with AppleTV or even Chromcast 😞

If the knuckleheads at Roku were to at least add the option to hide this garbage I may be inclined to stick with it. What a clusterf**k.

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi Community users!

We hear you and acknowledge your feedback. 

This has already been forwarded to the appropriate Roku team, as your satisfaction and convenience are what we aim for. 

Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else you'd want us to address and we'd be more than willing to listen and take appropriate action. 

Once again, we highly appreciate you for voicing out your concerns regarding this matter.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
Jibz
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I think clusterf**k is their middle name. ...and all we have to vent is this thread since customer service has been essentially nonexistent for years.

....another beef I have with this company!

yann-gael
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Dear @RokuCarly ,

Thank you for your message, it's really appreciated.

Would you be able (in the coming days/weeks) to give us some ideas of the actions that will be taken and of the time frame for their release?

Best,
Yann

Jibz
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution
I emailed some Bozo at TechRadar that gave this so called 'update' a glowing review. Here's what I said.

"Why don't you check Roku's thread to see how much their customer base wants this nonsense clogging up their screen. We're sick and tired of Roku adding this stuff without making these so called 'updates' an option. Some (if not most) of us have been using Roku instead of a TV's native OS for its searching simplicity, and uncluttered Home screen. The powers that be at Google, Amazon, Tivo, etc. operate under the assumption that we want endless lists, buttons, and menus to help us find what we want to watch ......or entice us to spend more money. Roku was the last vestige of 'TV Menu' SANITY left standing! Unfortunately, over the last number of years they have slowly sold out and have now joined the circus.

Can't you hear the music?"

JDnTX
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have cancelled all services subscribe to through ROKU.  They will not make another dollar from me.  If I want to keep the service I just subscribe directly.  **** You Roku!!!!

SweetPea820
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I don’t think it’s as much a concern as it is an intrusion. All I have to say is, “Don’t mess with my Home Screen in any way, shape or form.” I liked it the way it was.

Igloo316

Jump to solution

i agree…adding these add ons is annoying..i like a less cluttered home screen..when they added these there shouldnof been a hide oprion just like the others do..please update and add this option…less is more roku