Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Azxd09
Reel Rookie

Receiver doesn't auto-turn on when TV is turned on by Roku

I know this is an old thread, but I am having this exact issue after getting a CEC supported receiver.  Did you by any chance find a resolution to this issue?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Receiver doesn't auto-turn on when TV is turned on by Roku

Hi @Azxd09,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!

We'd like to investigate this issue further. Could you elaborate more about the problem that you're experiencing?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@Azxd09-

When seeking help it's a good idea to include the model and model number of your Roku.  They aren't all the same, and knowing which one you have will enable people to give you much more targeted and helpful advice.  Check Settings > System > About for this information or see what is printed on the device.

Some of the newer Roku models have a new "Settings > System > Power > Auto power savings > After 20 minutes of no interaction" menu item.  If your Roku has this item, it will put your Roku device into a low power standby condition after a 20 minute period of inactivity (i.e nothing has been streaming and no user interaction has been received). In this low power state neither its connection to your home network nor its HDMI connection to your TV are active. If your TV was off and you turn it back on while the Roku is in this state, this often leads to a "no connection" error display on the TV, and on some TVs can lead to HDCP copy protection errors and other connection problems when the HDMI connection is reestablished.

Pressing a Roku control key (like the Home button) on your Roku remote (not Power, Volume, or Mute buttons, if your remote has them, as they act on the TV, not the Roku) should bring the Roku out of standby and back to full operation. Pulling the power for a few seconds to restart the Roku will restore full operation as well.

If you disable "Settings > System > Power > Auto power savings > After 20 minutes of no interaction" it should prevent your Roku from going into standby in the first place. The power savings are very small and for the hassle it causes many users, I don't think it's worth having this feature activated.

For further details, see this Roku information page: https://support.roku.com/article/6306527767575

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Azxd09
Reel Rookie

Yeah, I apologize for the lack of details.  I don't know what happened, but I was trying to reply to this thread here:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Features-settings-updates/Receiver-doesn-t-auto-turn-on-when-TV-is-tur...

Basically I am having the same issue as that original poster, where when my Roku powers on my TV, my TV defaults to the TV speakers and so my receiver does not turn on.  I don't believe this is a Roku issue in any way, I believe it is a Samsung TV issue, but was just trying to figure out if the OP in the thread above had ever found a solution.  For reference, I have a Roku Ultra 4670 going through a Denon receiver and then HDMI to my Samsung KU6300 TV. 

Since I was just trying to reply to the post above and this is not a Roku issue, we can just close this thread as it appears I am not successful in trying to reply to that. 

0 Kudos
almiki
Channel Surfer

The only "solution" I have been able to find is to turn off the TV, and literally unplug it from the wall for 5 minutes, then plug it back in and try again. Every time similar problems recur, this is the fix that works for me.

Although lately my issue has been a little different... what I typically see now is that the TV sometimes won't play any audio at all through the receiver, even when there's no Roku involved. So I have to conclude that there's just a flaw in the Samsung TV, and maybe the problem can manifest in different ways.

Anyway see if the above fixes your issue. In my experience it does seem important to physically disconnect the TV from power for multiple minutes, and you might as well do the same for the Roku and receiver too.

0 Kudos