Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sdwinkler
Reel Rookie

ROKU Ultra TV Off shortcut just stopped working

Roku Ultra 4670 connected to Toshiba TV - has been working for years. A few weeks back, the TV Off shortcut stopped working, it still displays, but doesn't do anything when clicked. It used to turn off the tv and the ARC connected sound system off.

Also, the power off button on the ROKU remote also used to power off the TV and sound system. It still powers off the TV, but does not propgate to the sound system.

Something changed. Roku firmware, I assume, as the TV hasn't updated itself in years, nor has the sound system. Nothing changed in wiring.

Am I missing something?

I can provide models/settings if anyone thinks that's an issue, but, again, it was working perfectly for years and no settings were changed.

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: ROKU Ultra TV Off shortcut just stopped working

If you use the TV's remote to turn it off, does it turn off the sound system?  Try unplugging the power from everything involved briefly and then plug everything back in.  You can also try refreshing CEC devices in your TV's menu.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
sdwinkler
Reel Rookie

Thanks for replying.

The TV's remote does not turn off the sound system.

Power cycling didn't do anything. Nor did a reinstall of the TV, though I don't see a refresh ability for CEC devices on the TV.

So, when the TV powers up, the CEC also powers up the sound system. The problem is with power down, either from the Roku remote or the TV remote, both power the TV down, but not the sound system. And, the TV Off shortcut does nothing.

This worked fine for years, I'm struggling to figure out what changed in the config - or was it firmware for the Ultra? Nothing's changed on the TV or sound system or setup.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

If the TV's own remote doesn't turn off the sound system then the problem lies with the TV, not the Roku device.  I would guess that there's something wrong with the TV's CEC.  Maybe research that angle and forget the Roku part of it for now.  Once you can get the TV to power off the sound system I wouldn't be surprised if everything went back to working like it used to.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
sdwinkler
Reel Rookie

You are correct, the problem was with the TV. CEC AUTO STANDBY was OFF but should have been ON. Turns out their manual is very well done and helped me instantly once you pointed me in the right direction. Many thanks.

0 Kudos