Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Please give us a way to hide new "Categories" on Home Page which now will not load at

Jump to solution

By blank screen, do you mean you have a black screen when trying to exit some apps? If so, that isn't related to this. The Home key should return to the Roku screen. You can also try rebooting to see if that clears up something. This was a problem with YouTube awhile ago (both OS12. 0 and 12.5), but seems fixed 2 or more months ago.

Jimi99
Binge Watcher

Re: Please give us a way to hide new "Categories" on Home Page which now will not load at

Jump to solution

Hi Andy, thanks for the response. The blank screen is the Home screen when one exits an app and sees the icons along with system controls, there is nothing to see. Only unplugging the unit or waiting several minutes for the unit to reboot itself from the crash brings the home page back. Mighty annoying I must say....

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Sometimes the black screen is because Frame Rate matching is enabled in the Advanced display settings menu. This will cause the screen to blank out when a video is started and ended, as the TV and Roku have to handshake to different frame rates, which takes a couple of seconds usually. You might check if that setting is on, and try it with the setting off and see if the problem remains. 

Unfortunately, there's nothing to fix if that's the issue. Switching frame rates is always going to blank the screen, but the display should within a few seconds. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Jimi99
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Well my Roku is dust. After getting another blank screen that would not reboot on it's own I tried Factory Reset and now it is basically dead. It goes to getting started and then will not navigate anywhere. Roku was a good thing until the bug was installed along with the categories. I now Have to buy a new one. Way to go Roku, that's one way to spike sales.

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I doubt this has anything to do with a recent update. There may be an issue with your Roku, like a bad power supply. If it is one of those powered by a USB cable, then you can use any USB power supply (rated at least 1.0A) as a test.

Basically, if it was software causing this, you would be seeing hundreds of posts.

0 Kudos
Jimi99
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hi Andy, It's quite a coincidence that the problem began the same day as the update with categories but I went to Walmart and bought a Roku Ultra. It's my 3rd Roku, one of your original units, a Roku# and now an Ultra. If it wasn't for the Chess Live app I'd go with Firetv.

Thanks for the responses Andy.

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

If by Roku# you mean Roku3, then it's no surprise there are problems. Those are getting very old.

0 Kudos
Jimi99
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Yeah, it was a Roku3. It worked great right up till recently. The Roku Ultra I have now does have a better picture and sound so I'm happy with Roku again, Thanks again Andy.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

There's two different versions of Roku 3, the 4200 released March 2013 and the 4230 released April 2015. So the former is over 10 years old and the latter over 8. They were both outstanding streaming players, but their electronics are now lacking in performance. Roku hasn't discontinued support for them yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they finally move to legacy status next year. For many of today's apps, they just can't keep up anymore. With the move to 4K and HDR content, they are both lacking for today's content. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@Jimi99, keep in mind that if you factory reset your Roku 3 you have to pair the remote again.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos