Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Figs

Paying $69.99 for an update

Jump to solution

Our regularly used Roku Premiere+ has stopped working. Today, we updated it to the 10.0 version, which supposedly isn't even the latest version (10.5 is), but the message from Roku says our system is now up to date. It still doesn't work.

A Roku Customer Service rep told us we had to pay $69.99 to get the latest update. Anyone else had to pay for an update? We bought the device 3 years ago.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Paying $69.99 for an update

Jump to solution

@Figs

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that Roku OS 10.5 has begun rolling out to select Roku players and is expected to roll out to all supported streaming devices, including the all-new Roku Streaming Stick 4K, Roku Streaming Stick 4K+, and all Roku TV models in the coming weeks.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

THAT WAS NOT A ROKU CUSTOMER SERVICE REP!

You'll get the update when you get it.  Only Roku knows how their update process works and they're not sharing.  None of my devices have received it yet.  Roku doesn't charge for support (what little there is) or updates.  Don't do an Internet search for customer service.  You'll just be taken advantage of.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Figs

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that Roku OS 10.5 has begun rolling out to select Roku players and is expected to roll out to all supported streaming devices, including the all-new Roku Streaming Stick 4K, Roku Streaming Stick 4K+, and all Roku TV models in the coming weeks.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

@renojim wrote:

THAT WAS NOT A ROKU CUSTOMER SERVICE REP!

You'll get the update when you get it.  Only Roku knows how their update process works and they're not sharing.  None of my devices have received it yet.  Roku doesn't charge for support (what little there is) or updates.  Don't do an Internet search for customer service.  You'll just be taken advantage of.

If you want 10.5.0 simply factory reset the roku, I did this four roku's of mine, a streambar, express 4k+, 4800 ultra, and tcl roku tv, only one that didn't upgrade after the reset was roku tv. Which did upgrade a few days later on its own. 

Edmund

Mark51
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes…..I tried to add a Roku device & it did not work . The Roku technician I had on chat told me I needed a software one-time update of 69.99 to get the system working .

renojim

Jump to solution

@Mark51, HE WAS NOT A ROKU TECHNICIAN!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

As previously stated, updates to your Roku device are free of charge. 

For more information about protecting yourself from scams, visit our Support page here: Protect yourself from scams

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Well since not paying the $69 I no longer have options other then tv. So if it’s a scam then someone at roku is involved since he warned me I wouldn’t have anything and now I don’t. 

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Blackeyes68 

That’s pretty vague since Roku pretty much is TV.  Could you provide more information? How did you make contact with this person who warned you and what exactly was the warning? What is preventing you from using any of the Roku channels?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Blackeyes68 unfortunately, you connected up with a scam artist. You might believe you were talking with Roku, but you were not. If you provided them with your user information (email address and password) they logged into your Roku user account and took it over. See if you can still log into your account, and if you can change the password immediately. 

Now, to get channels back on your device again. Make sure the scammer didn't put your device in Guest Mode, as that might be limiting your control. If you've lost control of your Roku user account, you need to create a new account, reset your Roku to factory default, then link it to the new user account. You'll then have complete control of your Roku.

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.