Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Twex38
Reel Rookie

Parental Controls Bug: Factory Reset Code Allows Adding Channels

Jump to solution

Problem:

As I wrote in my title, there is a bug that allows the code that is generated from the factory reset settings option to override the parental controls.

Steps to replicate:

Each time you visit Settings>System>Factory Reset>Factory Reset Everything a 4 digit code generates at the bottom of the screen. You must enter this code to reset your TV.

However, if you exit out of this screen and go right to install a new app (YouTube for example), entering this 4 digit code will override the parental controls and allow the user to install an app.

Tests run:

Attempting the normal PIN works as expected.

Attempting other random PINs do NOT work, as intended.

System Version:

Build: 4323

Recently updated. Problem persists across current and previous version. 

Platform information:

TV - TCL 55R635

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Parental Controls Bug: Factory Reset Code Allows Adding Channels

Jump to solution

Hi @Twex38 

Thanks for the post and your concern regarding what you are seeing.

Aside from the currently known issue with the incorrect PIN for parental control, everything seems to be working as intended. Please be aware that when attempting to perform a factory reset on a Roku device/TV through Settings, you will be prompted to type in the generate code on the screen. This is to make sure that you are understanding that you are going to be performing a factory reset on your device and that you don't accidentally factory reset your device by inputting your PIN which can at times be second nature and without thought.

We hope this provides clarification of what you are experiencing.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Others are experiencing this without doing a factory reset.

See this thread: https://community.roku.com/t5/Account-payments-subscriptions/Wrong-PIN-can-be-used-to-download-chann...

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Twex38
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply but my issue is distinctly different so it should remain a standalone thread. I've tested wrong PINs and they do not work. This is a big directly tied to the auto-generated factory reset code.

And to clarify, I'm not doing a factory reset. If you hover over the factory reset option a 4 digit random code is generated without pressing anything. 

Is there a form to send the developers a big report? 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Twex38 

Thanks for the post and your concern regarding what you are seeing.

Aside from the currently known issue with the incorrect PIN for parental control, everything seems to be working as intended. Please be aware that when attempting to perform a factory reset on a Roku device/TV through Settings, you will be prompted to type in the generate code on the screen. This is to make sure that you are understanding that you are going to be performing a factory reset on your device and that you don't accidentally factory reset your device by inputting your PIN which can at times be second nature and without thought.

We hope this provides clarification of what you are experiencing.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos