Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Drkhagan
Reel Rookie

Old tv with Roku sound bar?

Jump to solution

Do I need Bluetooth on my tv to add Roku sound bar

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Old tv with Roku sound bar?

Jump to solution

Hdmi-arc is used to send audio from other devices connected to your tv to the Roku soundbar. Without arc you can use combination of regular hdmi and optical cable. But if the only source of audio is coming from the Streaming device built-in  to the Roku soundbar then all you need is a hdmi cable. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Drkhagan,

Thanks for your first post here in the Roku Community!

We understand you have a query about whether your TV needs Bluetooth to add a Roku Soundbar. Please be advised that you can connect a Roku soundbar to a TV over WiFi if both devices are compatible and connected to the same WiFi network. However, it is an uncommon feature as of right now. Bluetooth is more common among soundbars and TVs. But HDMI cables offer the best and most consistent audio experience.

A Roku Streambar Pro or Roku Smart Soundbar will work with any television with an available HDMI port, but to simplify connections, we recommend using a special type of HDMI port called an ARC port.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Drkhagan
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply 

so I can use the hdmi (no arc apparently) on my old tv to connect?  I assumed the soundbar would come with the streaming capability or do I need to buy a stick as well? 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Hdmi-arc is used to send audio from other devices connected to your tv to the Roku soundbar. Without arc you can use combination of regular hdmi and optical cable. But if the only source of audio is coming from the Streaming device built-in  to the Roku soundbar then all you need is a hdmi cable. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.