Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BamaInArk
Streaming Star

[OS 12.5] Screen Saver fails to work after an update

Using a Roku Ultra with software v12.5.0 build 4178-46.   I had no issues with the Screen Saver on v12.0 software.   Now that the Roku has updated the Screen Saver no longer activates while viewing recordings via my Tablo Quad.  The Screen Saver seems to work correctly while viewing saved programming via Philo streaming service.
If I happen to be watching via Tablo the screen at the 5 minute mark, when my Screen Saver is set to activate, I see a momentary glitch on the screen as it appears the Screen Saver is attempting to activate but then fails and the screen remains stuck at the paused image.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Screen Saver fails to work after 12.5 update

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @BamaInArk.

We appreciate you for reaching out to us for Support. Worry no more; we would be happy to find you the best resolution possible.

May we first know what specific screensaver you are having issues with? Does your concern affect the screensaver alone? Or does it affect your streaming via your Tablo Quad? In addition, would you mind providing us with a video clip of the glitch you are referring to? So that we may be able to assess your concern better.

The best course of action will be suggested once we have a better understanding of the situation. We'll be anticipating your response!
Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BamaInArk
Streaming Star

Sorry it's taken me a while to respond to this. 

Currently my Roku Ultra is running software 12.5.5, build 4174.   I initially had been using the Aquatic Life screensaver.    For troubleshooting I changed to Space screen saver.   I am able to duplicate the issue with Space screensaver.
I changed my screensaver time from 5 minutes to 1 minute in order the make troubleshooting easier.  The screensaver issue seems to be specific to viewing through my Tablo Ultra device.  Within any Roku specific app the screensaver seems to work normally.    If I am on the Roku Home screen the screensaver works fine.  If I am on the Roku Channel the screensaver works fine.   There are some instances where other channels seem to work with their screensaver and overrides the Roku default screensaver.   For instance Paramount + and Hulu seem to present their own version of the screensaver but it still works at 1 minute.

However when connected to the Tablo App and viewing programming on the Tablo the screensaver fails to activate.  What I do see, as mentioned in the previous post, is at the screensaver activation time period I see some screen glitching like the screensaver is attempting to initiate however the screen remains in view and no screensaver activates.   This repeats seemingly ad nauseum.
I do have a short video clip I can attach demonstrating what is seen at the screensaver activation period.  Not sure I can attach but let's see.

Doesn't look like I can attach a video clip?   I can send it to someone here to view.

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @BamaInArk,

Thanks for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you letting us know about your screensaver issue on your Tablo app. We will work with you to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the issue.
Please follow the steps below and see if it fixes the issue:

1. Remove the channel. Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press * to open the Options menu. Select the Remove channel and confirm.
  2. Restart your Roku device. Press Home on your Roku remote, scroll and select Settings, select System, select Power (if you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step), and select System restart.
  3. Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

Let us know how it goes, and we'll be glad to further assist you.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BamaInArk
Streaming Star

Removing/reinstalling the Tablo app did not fix things.  And in case it's important I am using the older Tablo legacy model...the Quad.   Different Tablo Apps for use on Roku device.  I did not even know this until attempting to reinstall the App as there were 2 version available.

I hate to see another Tablo vs Roku issue again.

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @BamaInArk,

Thank you for your quick response.

We understand you are still having issues with the Tablo app screensaver after attempting the troubleshooting steps provided, and we appreciate your posting about this. We would be delighted to help you further.

For us to better understand the issue you are experiencing, please provide us with additional information:

• Have you tried using a different version of the Tablo app to see if the issue is persistent?
  • Can you send us a photo of the running issue as our reference?

In the meantime, suppose the issue persists on the Tablo app only after attempting the troubleshooting steps, and the screensaver from other channels works fine. We suggest contacting the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help. The channel developers themselves maintain channels on Roku. An issue within that specific channel might need to be addressed with an update from them.

Let us know how it goes, and we will continue to assist you further.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BamaInArk
Streaming Star

FYI there is a topic about this on the Tablo forums.  It was started back in November 2023 to which I added to it again yesterday, 2 Feb 24.

As far as different versions of the Tablo App, as mentioned, the newer version only works with the new Tablo devices.   So I have one choice for the App to use.

What kind of photo do you require?  A photo of the running issue??   A photo of what exactly?  I do have a short video clip of what I see when the screensaver attempts to activate but I see no way to attach a video clip on the forums.  Perhaps I can email it to someone in support?

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: [OS 12.5] Screen Saver fails to work after an update

Hi @BamaInArk,

Thank you for letting us know about this.

We just need the sample photo as our reference when the Tablo TV's screensaver fails to activate or when a glitch on the screen appears on the screen as it is attempting to activate or remains stuck at the paused image for a clip may not load on the community post.

We would also be happy to look further into this issue, but we need more details. Please provide us with the following information:

1. Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  2. Tracker ID. When you see this issue, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID.

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further. We look forward to hearing from you!

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BamaInArk
Streaming Star

Info requested:

Device model - 4660RW - Roku Ultra

Serial # - YJ004J200453

Device ID - CS37C4200453

Software version - 12.5.5 bld 4174-46

Tracker ID - 53-048-753

Below is an attached still image from the short video clip I took of the TV screen.   This is what appears during the "glitching" when the screen saver is trying to function.  After about a 1 second glitch the screen blanks momentarily then returns to the "paused" image.   This cycles over and over at screen saver activation time set.

Screensaver Transition.jpg

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @BamaInArk,

We appreciate you providing all these details here in the Roku Community!

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We have forwarded your concern and information to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation and to fix the issue as soon as possible. We are dedicated to finding a solution to your concerns, so please don't hesitate to let us know if there is anything else we can do to help. 

Your patience and understanding are highly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos