Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Greg-Smith
Reel Rookie

[OS 12.0] Airplay Stopped working after software update

Yesterday 2023-04-05, screen mirroring stopped working. There was a software update that morning. I have a Roku Ultra 4800X connected to my modem by ethernet. serial # X01000YMLFPR, SOFTWARE 12.0.00 BUILD 4168-C2. I am trying to mirror from an iPad 9 using the lastest iOS. For the past month the mirroring has worked flawlessly from both the iPad and an iPhone 13. The report tracker is: Model 4800X- Roku Ultra, s/n X01000YMLFPR (S02A215MLFPR) software version 12.0.0 build 4168-C2, GC version 9.1.35, Timestamp 2023-04-06T19:33:42Z, issue PR-137-973. When attempting to mirror I get a black screen that says "AirPlay Wirelessly share content from your iPhone, iPad or Mac" in one area and "Connected to Device" in another area. I have tried rebooting my modem and powering down the the Roku. Yesterday I got it to work briefly by turning off AirPlay in Settings and turning it back on again. Today it worked for a few seconds after rebooting the modem. Since then, nothing works

10 REPLIES 10
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Screen Mirroring Stopped working after software update

Hi @Greg-Smith,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you for letting us know about the issue with screen mirroring after you receive the latest OS update and providing the necessary information.

We'll send this over to the Roku team for investigation. We'll get back to you once an update is available I'll be sure to update this Community thread

We're hoping to get everything sorted out soon and appreciate you bearing with us in the meantime.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Greg-Smith
Reel Rookie

Re: Screen Mirroring Stopped working after software update

There have been several software updates since this issue has come up. None seem to fixed the issue. On 2023-04-18 I discovered the image would mirror but there was no audio. There was an update the 19th. On the 20th I found mirroring was working, both image and audio. Today it's back to image only no audio. No one had contacted me about the status of this issue, I just have to keep trying the mirror function to see what the status is.

0 Kudos
EdTheRed3

Re: [OS 12.0] Airplay Stopped working after software update

I'm having the same sort of problem.  I can connect to the Roku from an iPad for audio but not video.

Screen mirroring works, but I can't stream a video the usual way.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @EdTheRed3,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that you are facing an issue with using screening mirroring using your IPad with the Roku device. We're sorry for the inconvenience this has caused.

Please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • the mobile device brand, model, and OS
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

We look forward to hearing from you and investigating this issue further as we are committed to finding a solution for this issue. Thank you!

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

We experience the exact same problem.  

Playing youTube for example and then trying to Airplay directly from the App would NOT work.

We would get a black screen on the TV with a sub screen saying we were connected to the Device.

But no Audio or Video.

We worked around this by starting start video first on the IPAD, then swipe down on the iPad from the top right corner.  Hit the screen Mirroring Button (the two screens icon) and then Select your Roku TV monitor.

My experience is that the videos play best when NOT in full screen mode.
Going to full screen mode always seems to bring back the above condition.
However, you may originally get the condition described above, EVEN when you are not in full screen mode.

If this happens, you may have to go full screen from the iPad and then exit right back out of full screen to get it to show up on the TV.  This seems to wake up the TV and start playing the video and audio from there.

Note we experienced this both from an Ipad and multiple Iphones.  Clearly the issue seems to be with the TV and would love a solution that supports full screen mode.
0 Kudos
-JDT-
Reel Rookie

I am also experiencing the same problem

Model 3940CA - Roku Express 4K
Software version 12.0.0, build 4184-CR

Hopefully there will be an update soon

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi there @-JDT-,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for providing all the information and we're sorry for the inconvenience. If I'm understanding correctly, you are facing an issue connecting Airplay with your Roku Express.

In addition to the information you have provided, can you please provide the tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing?

We look forward to your responses and gathering your details.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
-JDT-
Reel Rookie

Hi Mary:

thanks so much for checking in!

My problem is resolved after restarting today. I had restarted (I am pretty sure but not positive!) when the problem had I initially occurred, but restarting today has done the trick. 

-J

0 Kudos
ktgi

Having the same problem.  Tried full restarts on both iPhone and Roku TV (model 7130X, software 12.0.0, build 4182-30).  trying to connect to Roku TV via airplay while TV is in the Home Screen.  Only other interesting note is that when I select Roku TV on the iPhone Airplay device menu, smaller text appears underneath in the same box as the Roku TV: "What I am... Edie Brickell".  Which is a fine song, but not one I've played on either my iPhone or my TV, and not remotely related to the sports video I'm trying to stream. 

0 Kudos