Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

OS 11 features finally rolling out

After a month, Roku is finally rolling out the new features that require OS 11. See Roku Blog post "Roku OS 11 enhances user personalization with Photo Streams, expanded content discovery, and new sou...."

For those that don't yet have OS 11, be aware that the new features that Roku mentioned were not included with OS 11. Rather, they would require OS 11 and roll out later. Well, it's now later.

What to Watch

What to Watch finally appeared on my devices that have OS 11 -- not all do yet -- and I'm checking it out. Here's what Roku said about it:

What to Watch is a new destination added to the Home Screen Menu, leading to movies and TV shows from a variety of streaming channels, including those you most frequently interact with. What to Watch provides easy access to a personalized selection of new titles that were recently added, recommendations for users based on popular and trending content, and so much more.

Sound Mode

The new audio modes for Roku Streambar rolled out as well. There appears to be a bug in it, or at least an issue with mine. My Audio Preferred Language was set to Italian. That's not a language I prefer. So, you may need to look at that setting. Perhaps it was just me, but do be aware it happened at least once.

Other features

The Live TV feature actually rolled out with 10.5, so it's not OS 11 actually. I haven't looked at the mobile app updates, as I rarely use it.

My main purpose is to let those with OS 11 know that the new features are there. And those waiting on OS 11, the features will actually be there when you get the update. Probably.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

31 REPLIES 31

Re: OS 11 features finally rolling out

Hello.  I am not able to find where "Roku Photo Streams" is located and I have OS 11. How do I get to "Roku Photo Streams"? I haven't been able to find anything on the Roku website about this nor on internet searches. If you have any guidance it is needed and appreciated. Thank you.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@KarenAndChaz1 

I haven't heard that anyone has received this feature as part of their OS11 update yet.  I have OS11 on a couple of my devices currently and certainly do not see it.  Most likely released in a later build.

(https://www.roku.com/blog/roku-os-11#!) - some info re: Photo Streams.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

DBDukes

@KarenAndChaz1 

It's not something I care about, so I never looked into it.

I do know that if you have the Mobile screensaver, you can use the Roku app on your mobile device to add photos to it. I suppose that's what they're talking about. I never noticed that functionality before, but I never looked for it. If that's new, then that's it.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@DBDukes 

I'm not sure if that mobile app screensaver feature is available anymore. (at least not on my Android).  I think I remember some people mentioning that it went missing some time ago from their devices also.  So not sure if gone completely, or just from some devices.

The new Roku Photo Streams, from what I gather, is going to be similar to Google's PhotoViews. (https://channelstore.roku.com/details/637cbf48183a52820a32e8a7a8ff865a/photoview-for-google-photos)

It appears that it is the result of some development from back in 2016. (I guess it didn't really get adopted then since looks a lot like the current Google PhotoView ).  This was the Roku development seeking feedback at the time. (https://blog.roku.com/developer/2016/05/24/photo-streams-roku-os)

----

Assuming it will be something along these lines in some form or another.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@AvsGunnar 

I used it for the first time this evening researching for this thread. I used an iPhone. I haven't tried with Android. And the Roku I used does have OS 11.

Update: It's available on Android too.

Set the Roku Screensaver to Mobile.

Open Roku app on mobile device.

Devices > [select device] > Media

DBDukes

AvsGunnar

@DBDukes 

Ahhh.  I think its my Android version then.  I think I am remembering now. Under the Media tab, you are seeing Music, Photos, Videos, and Screensaver (?)  I am missing the Screensaver option on my older Android v.7.  

Thanks for the info update. Good to see that is still working then. 👍

0 Kudos
trothatl
Roku Guru

Your post said "Set the Roku Screensaver to Mobile." I'm assuming "Mobile" is a screensaver option like any other screensaver? If so, that option has yet to appear on my two Roku devices that are running OS11. Also I can't find any screensaver options in my Roku app (version 8.2.0.939193) for Android (version 12 on Samsumg Galaxy Note 10+) - the options under media are Photos, Music, and Videos, and Photos only allows me to cast photos, not upload them for a screensaver.

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@trothatl  What it means is you will be able to upload pictures from your mobile device then use them as a screensaver

0 Kudos
Scottt1174
Roku Guru

Applying Picture settings to all Inputs!

Why would Roku add apply picture settings to ALL inputs on the newest Roku 11 update? I have my AVR connected to my Roku TV and everytime I switch my inputs on my AVR let’s say to my PS5 input, I always have to change my picture from Movie mode to Normal mode because I like a brighter picture when playing games. Why couldn’t Roku add apply picture settings for each individual input not to all inputs. They need to change this. 

0 Kudos