Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rolfio

Re: [OS 10.5] Airplay not working on device

32” TCl Roku TV doesn't show up as an available screen mirroring device on MacBook Pro (Monterey version 12.1)  or iPhone 13 (IOS 15.2.1). 

Airplay is a menu option in settings and is turned on. A code was displayed and entered but no content is displayed and the TV doesn't show up in "Screen Mirroring" on the iPhone or MacBook. 

On the Roku support page for this topic it shows:

"The Roku Devices listed below must be running Roku OS 10.0 or higher to support Apple HomeKit and streaming with Airplay 2."

The first row in the accompanying table shows Models Dxxxx and 8xxxx.  My model 8122X matches this criteria. In addition, its current OS is 10.5.0, which is higher than 10.0. 

Roku TV: 8122X 

TCL Model: 32S335

Software Version: 10.5.0 Build 421—48

Serial #: YK00LF764558

Is my TCL Model: 32S335 Roku TV able to stream AirPlay?  The support page indicates that it is. 

If it is, please off suggestions on how to resolve the problem of it now showing up in list of "Screen Mirroring" devices on my iPhone and/or MacBook Pro.  

0 Kudos
KBK

Ran into this today with a Roku streaming stick +. After getting to the point where I select Settings\AirPlay and HomeKit\ <enter>; the screen would display “AIRPLAY” then revert back to the previous menu. 
I recall from my Embedded Software Testing days that many times programmers will focus on a single initialization sequence typically when code is first loaded or upgraded and verify its functionality. Corner cases involving already loaded and running code can be overlooked. 

so as a work around until 10.5 is retired, power cycle your Roku and wait until your home screen is displayed. Without doing anything else, scroll down to Settings <enter>, scroll down to Apple “AirPlay and HomeKit” <enter>, wait and this time the Airplay settings screen should load, use ok to set Airplay to “On” and hit the back button or Home key to exit. With some luck you screen mirroring selections on you IPhone should list your roku device and be selectable. If it reverts back to missing after being powered on and used, repeat this sequence, however it will likely show Airplay as On in the roku settings. At this point running menu setup sequence seems to reactivate the Airplay device availability. Hope this helps until its debugged.

-Ken

john_dee

It worked!  I've got 2 Roku sticks on 2 different TVs.  I got one to work fine but the other one stubbornly refused me access to setup.  I tried your method and it worked.  The only difference between the two is, one is a 3810X - Roku Streaming Stick + (the one that worked the first time) and the other is a 3810RW Roku Streaming Stick + (the one I was having problems with).  They both are using software version 10.5.0 build 4208-50.

Thanks

0 Kudos
iunknown2k

Here is my information:

Model: 3820RW
Serial number: X01700EEXSHR
Software version:10.5.1 build 4066-CU
issue ID: HR-109-908

My stick 4K looks like cannot support airplay. when I use ipad or mac book , it can find the roku stick, but when I click the sharing , there is no action on the stick side. 

Any suggestion?

0 Kudos

I have the same issue as well. Just stopped working on 3-18-22. Restore to factory did not correct the issue either. iOS version does not seem to matter. Common thread is the Roku software version. 

Any update on when this issue will be resolved?

0 Kudos
dancerfrog
Reel Rookie

Got mine to work again 3-21-2022, fingers crossed. TCL Roku TV 43S421 Software 10.5.0
Go to Settings>System>Power>System Restart>Restart. After it finishes, turn TV off, (I waited 30 seconds or so out of habit, no real idea if that accomplished anything) and then turn back on.
Before doing anything else, go to Settings>Apple Airplay and HomeKit and presto the Airplay options screen came back. I enabled it again and as of now it works. 

0 Kudos
salimbencosme
Channel Surfer

I’m Having the same problem :/. Does someone know the solution?

0 Kudos
dancerfrog
Reel Rookie

If the Roku device is not showing up, or the Airplay app tries but fails to launch, work around as follows:

On your Roku device home screen, go to Settings>System>Power>System Restart>Restart. After it finishes, (the TV or Roku box will turn off, then on again and take about 30 seconds to get back to the home screen) then:

From the home screen on the Roku device go to Settings>Apple Airplay and HomeKit and select. It will reload the Airplay app from scratch (it took about 20 seconds on my Roku TV). Now turn on apple Airplay from that screen, (it is defaulted off with the reset). Now, when you go back to your apple device, the Roku device should show up as a screen mirroring or Airplay choice. Has restored Airplay on all 3 of my Roku devices.

0 Kudos
salimbencosme
Channel Surfer

I did all of that but without success 😕 . It's there's a way to go back to the previous software version?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you are experiencing an issue with Airplay, can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue? Can you provide screenshots of what you are seeing? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos