Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
olemiss74
Streaming Star

No sound when using Airplay on Roku Streaming Stick 4K 3820X Casting From MacBook Pro A2442

There is no sound when I use Airplay to cast from my MacBook Pro A2442 to my Roku Streaming Stick 4K 3820X on an old Mitsubishi dumb TV using my WiFi.   Network connection is solid and video casts fine to the TV but there is no audio despite thorough troubleshooting with both Apple and Roku Tech Phone Assistance reps.  Sound works well on the MacBook and Mitsubishi TV when Airplay is not in use.  No one has been able to isolate the cause of the problem.  Please advise. 

Labels (1)
8 REPLIES 8
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: No sound on when using Airplay on Roku Streaming Stick 4K 3820X Casting From MacBook Pro A2442

Hi @olemiss74,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku community!

We will be more than happy to assist you further, but we will need to gather more details. Is this happening on all contents or apps when you are trying to airplay, or is it isolated? (Specify) Are you using AirPlay or a screen-sharing method?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
olemiss74
Streaming Star

Re: No sound when using Airplay on Roku Streaming Stick 4K 3820X Casting From MacBook Pro A2442

The absence of sound occurs when using Airplay to cast a YouTube video from my MacBook Pro A2442 to the Roku Streaming Stick 4K 3820X which is installed on a dumb Mitsubishi TV.  All devices are unmuted and emitting proper sound except when Airplay is engaged.  I have not attempted to cast applications using Airplay other than YouTube videos as I have no need to do so. 

Many people have reported this problem so it’s a unique issue with Roku and not the hosting devices.   Two people in this Community solved the problem by turning the Roku sound leveling feature to Off.  However, this solution didn’t work for me.  

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: No sound on when using Airplay on Roku Streaming Stick 4K 3820X Casting From MacBook Pro A2442

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, @olemiss74.

We're happy to continue assisting.

May we also know if the loss of sound during the casting only occurs on the YouTube app? We'd like to know if the issue affects other channels or apps as well. Are there any external audio devices attached to your TV? Ultimately, have you already given the following troubleshooting steps a try?

• Perform a system restart on the Roku device.
  • Reboot the router and your MacBook.
  • Hook the Roku device to a different TV and launch AirPlay again just to check if the issue persists.

Please let us know what you find out.

All the best,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
olemiss74
Streaming Star

The sound problem is only with my dumb Mitsubishi TV during Airplay engagement.   I have sound on Airplay with my two Samsung Smart TVs.  There is no sound on my dumb Mitsubishi TV during Airplay engagement regardless of the application I’m casting from my Apple MacBook or iPhone.  

There are no external audio devices on any of my TVs.  

I performed the generic troubleshooting steps you specified which were of no effect on the Mitsubishi TV sound problem.  

The Mitsubishi TV sound works well except when I’m using Airplay to cast videos to it.  I turned sound leveling to Off on the Mitsubishi TV to no avail.  

I’ve explored all options I can think of and would appreciate any suggestions you can offer, i.e., settings on the Mitsubishi TV that need to be changed in order to activate sound during Airplay engagement.   

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping us informed, @olemiss74.

As mentioned, it seems that the issue is not occurring when launching AirPlay on different smart TVs. This could mean that the issue lies within the Mitsubishi TV itself. Have you already tried reaching out to the TV manufacturer to inquire further as to why the TV doesn't have audio when launching the AirPlay feature? If not, we would recommend that you do so. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS. You can locate their support contact information here: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV

You can inform us of your findings with them.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
olemiss74
Streaming Star

Mitsubishi stopped making TVs in 2012 so there is no support available.  As already reported, the Mitsubishi TV sound works well when Airplay is not engaged.  It’s a great, old digital TV with good sound and picture quality.  I bought it new in 2006. 

I’m looking for common sense solutions to this problem as it’s likely something to do with a setting.  What TV settings typically impede Airplay sound?  Other Community posters reported changing the Roku sound leveling setting to Off which solved the problem.  I tried that but it didn’t work for me.  I’m hoping that others may have some ideas on other setting options to explore, whether on the Roku device or on the Mitsubishi TV, itself. 

0 Kudos
ryandlabar

Re: No sound when using Airplay on Roku Streaming Stick 4K 3820X Casting From MacBook Pro A2442

So the one thing that worked for me, and I'm not sure why (I'd imagine it has something to do with the audio codec), was to start screen mirroring then use the Roku remote and hit the "*" button. Then turn the sound from 'Leveling', or 'night' to 'Off', and the sound plays right away for me. I'm using a Roku 4k Stick with an older (9 years old) Sony TV.

0 Kudos
USAtube15
Channel Surfer

You need to follow @RokuJanadeeK  & @RokuJohnB 

0 Kudos