Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JosephD
Channel Surfer

No active internet Roku becomes a brick

Roku Ultra 4670X

Software 12.5.0 build 4175-46

Internet service went down, went to access my local media server with Emby, Roku shows 9 blank channel spots and complains of no internet. Multiple restarts did not resolve.  Has to be one of the last 2 software updates because internet service was out 3 times last month and no issue.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: No active internet Roku becomes a brick

Hi @JosephD,

Thanks for posting your concern here in the Roku Community!

We're glad to assist you with your problem connecting your Roku Ultra to the internet. We'd like to know more about it so we can further assist you. Please provide us with more details.

• How are you trying to connect to your network? Is it via wired or wireless connection?
  • How far is your Roku Ultra from your network router?
  • What error message or code are you getting after trying to connect to your network? (after putting in the network credentials)

In the meantime, you can check out this support article on what to do if you cannot connect to your wireless network.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JosephD
Channel Surfer

Wired all other PC's and server wired.  All others working.  Roku becomes a BRICK with 9 empty channel boxes that you cannot access with the cursor and a helpful banner for Roku TV.

0 Kudos
JosephD
Channel Surfer

This is still happening in the latest OS build 4175-46

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for the follow-up, @JosephD.

Would you mind trying to connect this device to an alternative network, such as a mobile hotspot, just to check if there will be a difference? Was the issue also persistent with your other device?

Please keep us updated.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JosephD
Channel Surfer

That is the entire issue, when the Roku can not detect INTERNET it becomes a brick now.  As for testing my other device it is a Roku 3 and EOL and I don't use it. PC's or my phone can still access my media server.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@JosephD,

Kindly try performing a manual update on your device. By navigating to Settings>>System>>System update. If there's an available one, please take it and then try to access your device offline and let us know if there are any differences.

Please keep us posted.

We'll be looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JosephD
Channel Surfer

I have been checking. First post (

Roku Ultra 4670X

Software 12.5.0 build 4175-46)

Third post (OS build 4178-46)

No new update today. Connect a Roku ultra, check that it works, remove its internet connection, and no longer has channel icons.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for the update, @JosephD!

We'll communicate this over to the right team and we'll get back to you with an update on how things turn out.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
MediaUser

I'm having an issue after updating the Roku to the latest firmware, it requires you to have an internet connection.  I previously was using it in the car for the kids as a media player, with this new update I cannot do anything on it without the internet.  Can you make new firmware to not require internet for the Media player and always update after power up?