Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New * options menu is NOT an improvement

Please, for the sake of my sanity, revert back to the previous iteration of this UI.  The “simplified” version found in the 10.5.0 build 4201-48 for my TCL Roku TV is poorly designed.  It is no longer a simple few clicks to access the picture settings and the sudden switch in directional navigation now required when utilizing the sleep function for example, is both annoying and pointless.  

Please consider the end user of your products prior to arbitrarily changing something as fundamental as the menu for the settings of our own televisions.

28 REPLIES 28
Zorque

Re: New * options menu is NOT an improvement

Strong agree. I use these settings daily to darken the screen for bedtime and it just became much more cumbersome to do so. I don't want to diminish the hard work of the Roku team but I can't think of any reason this had to change.

dan6
Channel Surfer

I totally and wholeheartedly agree with your frustration regarding the change of the TV Settings menu that came with the latest update. I also use the * button numerous times a day to easily make minor adjustments or set a timer with just a couple of clicks. There's no 'flow' to the * button any longer. May not be much of an issue for some, but for me, I don't enjoy my ROKU TCL as much anymore. Is there a way to 'un update'?

Also, I'm not able to cast from my mobile phone any longer. There's audio but no picture. Casting to Chromecast no problem. Pretty sure it has to do with OS 10.5 update.  PLEASE FIX ASAP!

WayneMed
Channel Surfer

What gave someone the idea to update these UIs in the first place? 

Why make me click through more menus to change simple things? 

Things like 'color' and 'tint' and others under "Fine Tune Picture" now take more button presses.

How do I revert back to the previous UIs? 

I use devices in many aspect ratios and the 'picture size' option was right there on the first menu page. 

I am really frustrated about this. Fix it Roku!

APD1

Strongly agree. Was this menu update added to fill out a scrum backlog? Seems like over-engineering.

Seemingly no reason to change it, no logic for this new layout, and now it's harder to use.

Itsbeez
Channel Surfer

This looks like an older version of the menu I used to hate. Why not let us customers have the ability to customize this menu? I wouldn't even have the Sleep Timer on there, let alone first. How about asking us with some surveys or such?

I came here specifically to ask for a reversion in the functionality of the Sleep Timer. It was far easier/intuitive when it was a right scrolling menu than to have to change direction and scroll down to select the time.

I believe a long time ago, it was a dropdown menu. Then they updated to the side scroll selection, and now it appears to have reverted. I was a huge fan of the right scroll as it felt natural. I am not a fan of using the dropdown.

EErickson05
Binge Watcher

I constantly use the brightness settings and this new UI makes it much more cumbersome now. I also feel like there is very little difference now when I change from 'normal' to 'bright' and 'brighter'. Anyone else notice this? The brightness barely increases between these settings

Freshbrood
Reel Rookie

100% agree. New options menu configuration is tedious and the change was arbitrary and unwelcome. Such a chore to switch picture settings on the fly now, and I used to do it often.

Looking at Fire Stick today. I am over these obnoxious firmware updates. 

WayneMed
Channel Surfer

I sent a message to Roku folks to complain, seems like they listened!

They said to check for update, sure enough. 10.0.0 build 4209 was available for install. I installed it and it's back to the old UI style for picture settings. Tv seems a little sluggish though, maybe still catching up from the 'update' process.