Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Annoyed_2
Channel Surfer

Re: NEW HOME SCREEN - "ON NOW"

I recommend Chromecasts. You can install a custom launcher and not have to deal with ads on anything else a company decides you should. 

Here's a guide to use. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comments/jnxlmw/guidenatively_use_custom_launcher_on_chromecast/

Bill83
Reel Rookie

Yes, I'm having the same issue. Would love to be able to turn off the "On Now" feature.

ScaryGirl2

This is also a safety issue for small children. I don't want my kids seeing suggestions for 'on now'. That is why we have separate hulu, netflix, etc screens for them so they don't see suggestions for things they shouldn't!

RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Bill83 @ScaryGirl2,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!
We appreciate you providing your suggestion, and we value your feedback. We always aim to provide our customers with the best streaming experience and convenience when using our services. Thank you so much for your feedback, and we value your input.
This has been noted, and if you need anything else, please let us know.
All the best,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rltidd27

This should have never been added, effectively changing what the user has set up.  A quick change offering a way to adjust the home screen without this is in order.  In less polite terms, this really sucks!

vike
Streaming Star

I don't understand the "apologize for the inconvenience" response.  This is nothing BUT an inconvenience, and has absolutely nothing to do with creating a better customer experience.  If that was the genuine goal, then we would be able to turn this feature on (for the minority of users interested in this addition) or off (for the majority that buy Rokus to access our favorite streaming services and prefer not to be dumped into other content against our will).  Sure, at one level, it's just one more keystroke to navigate away from this useless and irritating menu option.  But as others have noted, this "On Now" menu includes content that some parents want to exclude from their children's viewing.  More generally, for everyone that doesn't want this feature, it mucks up the learned navigation sequence that takes us quickly to the content we have carefully arranged in our shortcut menus.  I've always been annoyed by Roku constantly trying to add useless apps I need to delete whenever I hit the wrong key to exit the screen saver, but I've got myself trained well enough to avoid that minor irritant.  This "On Now" misfeature is unavoidable, disruptive to the user experience, downright objectionable to some households, and the worst experience of "encrapification" I've had in my many years of Roku ownership.  You're disturbing habitual use patterns, and in a space this competitive that's just lethally stupid - not sure how much this incompetent product management move will cost you, but I hope it's a lot.

TorianEC
Streaming Star

It is good to know that somebody is moderating this. However, you asked us if we need anything else.

it should be fairly obvious that what we need is the ability to turn this off and into a response that tells us the status of this issue.

thank you.

TorianEC
Streaming Star

Certainly the other most important factor is the parental control. I totally agree with you. Shameful of Roku for violating this standard.

Frankly, the only reason I ever bought a Roku in the first place was so that I could use the Innovative Language App, which no longer functions on Roku.

I have two LG Smart TVs that offers me all the other apps I use anyway. Getting ready to unplug both of my Rokus and switch to both of my TVs.

There have been many disgusting changes on Roku's code, which gets more and more complex to navigate and manage.

This, by far, is, in my opinion, one of the worst - and it appears that a choir of users agrees. I'm done. Done using my Rokus, done buying expensive new ones, and done asking for moderator feedback in their responses to dysfunctional issue status on changes that have no workaround.

crivali
Reel Rookie

I am in 100% agreement with all the others that this was a bad idea.  As everyone s else here has stated, my home list is set up the way that I want it.  Why would Roku go and change how I view my home screen and who decides what even goes that new section, non of the content that shows up there is anything that I would click on.  This should have been an option for people to either have or disable not just forced on everyone because some software engineer thought it would be cool.

Prof_hoo
Reel Rookie

Given that it's been over 3 weeks since a moderator even commented on this thread, I doubt Roku is actually considering rolling back this change. They're just going to wait until we stop complaining.

If I'm being honest, I probably won't replace any units that are still working (at least yet), but I've already ordered a new chromecast to see if they're more user-friendly.

0 Kudos