Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gogphoto
Channel Surfer

My Roku Just Updated (12.5.0 • build 4172-CR) and the Update has cause the HDCP issue to resurface

My Roku updated 10/10/23 at 7:37pm, and now I'm getting the HDCP error that wants me to check all my cables when ever I try to start a program or movie in an app (Netflix, Disney+, Apple TV, Prime, etc.) The only thing that's changed is the update, it's not my cables, and this happened on an update last year as well.

Is it possible to walk back the update so that my Roku isn't a useless brick?

Model 3941X - Roku Express 4K+

Software Version 12.5.0 • build 4172-CR

Device ID S07P217RS8AP

#HDCPissue #Updatesaregarbage

Labels (1)
10 REPLIES 10
gogphoto
Channel Surfer

Re: My Roku Just Updated (12.5.0 • build 4172-CR) and the Update has cause the HDCP issue to resurfa

Tracker ID AP-407-541

GC Version 10.1.517

Timestamp: 2023-10-11T00:21:32Z

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: My Roku Just Updated (12.5.0 • build 4172-CR) and the Update has cause the HDCP issue to resurfa

Hi @gogphoto,

Thank you for posting in the Roku Community!
We understand you're having a problem with your Roku device. We're happy to assist you. Please check out this support article here on what to do if you see an “HDCP Error Detected” message or a purple screen.

Please keep us posted if the problem still continues.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
gogphoto
Channel Surfer

Yeah, that document is completely useless to my situation. I did try swapping cables and even the HDMI port, rebooted the ROKU, cycled the TV, etc. The fact is that the issue started with the Update yesterday, and is software related not hardware related. If there's a document that addresses the update not working properly on slightly older devices, I would be happy to try some fixes from that.

The last time this happened they ultimately rolled back the update, and that mostly fixed the issue...maybe that will help here?

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @gogphoto,

Thank you for keeping us posted!

You're doing a great job troubleshooting the issue. No worries! We will be more than delighted to assist you further. Please try to plug your Roku Express 4K+ into a different TV and see if the issue still persists.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

Best regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
gogphoto
Channel Surfer

I don’t have a second TV, but the issue persists when I use an ASUS monitor, using the HDMI cable that works fine connecting it to my laptop…seriously, it’s not an equipment issue, it’s the update screwing up my ROKU. This happened with the update in May or June of 2022 as well, it’s not unwarranted.

RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @gogphoto,
Thanks for the update!

We'll forward this case to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation. We'll make sure to post an update here once we grasp available information about this.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
gogphoto
Channel Surfer

Down graded to 12 as the team suggested, it’s stopped purple screening, but the HDCP error persists.

Also, in reverting, my layout has gone from the 3 Apps across layout, to 4 across, it started with 3 immediately following the rollback, then the screen flashed and went to the 4 layout from the update. Not sure if it’s relevant, but it says to me, something isn’t fully rolled back.  

0 Kudos
ryeguy_24
Binge Watcher

It also broke my HDMI-CEC. In the same way mentioned from original poster: Roku 10 broke it, then 12 fixed it and now 12.5 brought the bug back.  Maybe it’s connected to the HDCP issue. 

HisSvt2
Roku Guru

Had this happen today on my premiere also none of my apps would play content in 4k hdr or Dolby vision had to toggle that new force Dolby vision on off reboot etc and then app started displaying content properly again for now… that setting is in advanced display if anyone hadn’t seen it.

0 Kudos