Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevemol
Channel Surfer

Re: Movies anywhere 4k movies don't work on the new ultra

Jump to solution

Yes, other apps play 4K.  Yes, it's a 4K TV.  Yes, the Roku settings confirm that it is connected to a 4K TV.  (That's why I said "Settings shows that it does."

0 Kudos
Drseid
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Right, same deal here.  My Ultra *used* to be able to play 4K on Movies Anywhere, but it stopped.  My other 4K apps work fine and play the 4K movies normally... it is only Movies Anywhere (same issue as described exactly by stevemol)

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Sorry, had to ask the dumb question. I'll try my Ultra 4640 later today and see if it's sending 4K from MA. My Ultra 4670 isn't connected to a 4K TV, so not a good test. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@stevemol  Thanks for reaching out. It's possible that the channel provider may currently be limiting streaming quality below 4K due to increased network usage worldwide. It's hard to say though. 

If you are still able to stream that quality in other channels, we'd recommend reaching out to Movies Anywhere support to inquire further, report the issue you are seeing, and request additional support. They develop their channel (app) on the Roku platform, and would be able to best assist with any questions or issues you may face within their channel. You can reach them directly here: (833) 466-8438 or online at https://help.moviesanywhere.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003866303-Contact-Movies-Anywhere

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
stevemol
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

That may be true, but that shouldn't be shown with an error that says that the device doesn't support 4K.  A more appropriate message should be shown.

However, looking at the age of this thread, this should be addressed.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

OK, just tried it on my Ultra 4640. I see the same message that says my device doesn't support 4K. But I checked the info display on my AVR and it showed 4k/60 while I was on the movie selection window. When I hit playback, I again checked the AVR and it was still showing 4K/60 output from the Roku. Does that mean the media itself was streaming at 2160? I can't say. Only that the Roku was outputting 4K/60 for playback. Remember that Roku devices do not have a resolution match function, so whatever display setting the Roku has is what's going to be sent out. It does have a framerate match function, but that has always been problematic for me and I leave it disabled. I use my Shield for resolution and framerate matching.  

I tried Movies Anywhere on my Shield, and I don't get the unsupported message. When I played the same movie I tried on the Roku, my AVR again shows 4K/60. The image appeared identical on both players (although I only watched a short segment), and my TV appeared to have switch to HDR with both players as well. So my guess is MA is still sending 4K, even though the app has that faulty message about the player being unsupported. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
stevemol
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Interesting.

Thanks, I don't have tech at that level to be able to troubleshoot -- I have to believe what it says.  And paying an extra $5 for a movie in 4K, I want to see it in 4K!  Of course, if there are temporary bandwidth issues, I'll live with that, but...

0 Kudos
Drseid
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I don’t think this is temporary bandwidth related, as I tested the app on my other TV that uses a 4K Apple TV device and it played just fine in 4k, without any issues.  The 4K TV model is the same, for reference (not that it should matter).

0 Kudos
gcurrie
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I'm getting the same problem with 'protected content license error' when playing HD. Using the same HDMI cable and HDMI input, my Roku Premiere plays protected content fine. My Roku Ultra (4800) will not.

All drivers are current on both units as of 4/8/2021. Pretty clear indication that the Ultra has some specific issues that ALL other Roku devices do not have.

Roku Ultra (4800), Roku Premiere
gcurrie
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

As a follow up, I used the Roku Ultra for the 2022 Seattle Film Festival in April 2022. I purchased access to 2 dozen films streamed in 1080p.

The source of all the films was DCP (Digital Cinema Package) which supports Digital Rights Management (DRM).

All but two films played successfully. The unsuccessful films were both collections (animation and shorts). I suspect that when you have multiple films in one package they are all restarting the DRM validation many times during a session. Maybe that is a clue.

Roku Ultra (4800), Roku Premiere
0 Kudos