Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeffjames

Media not allowed User must re-authenticate

ESPN worked fine before.

Now getting message that "Media not allowed. User must re-authenticate. " I  have no idea what this means!

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Media not allowed User must re-authenticate

Try removing the channel, restarting the Roku, and adding the channel again:

1. Highlight the channel on the Home Screen, press * on your remote, choose "Remove channel" (if you have a subscription through Roku this procedure won't work)
  2. Restart your Roku by pressing the reset button, unplugging the power for a few seconds, or choosing "System restart" from Settings->System->Power
  3. Search for and add the channel again from Streaming Channels

Don't skip step 2.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

The ESPN channel app is one that requires you to have a paid subscription to a "tv provider" account that carries ESPN, such as an account with cable or satellite.

To "authenticate" means to use your tv provider credentials to prove you have that paid account.

From within the ESPN app try logging out of your provider account, then back in.

Click on the "gear" icon in the upper right to get to Settings.  In "Account information" click on "TV Provider".  If you're currently logged in you'll get a Provider Log Out screen -- click CONTINUE to log out.

Now go back into TV Provider to log back in and authenticate with your TV provider.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
kdavis706

I had the same problem.  I had recently changed providers and thought that ESPN had not recognized new information.  On a previous search for an answer I saw where someone had posted that if authenticating through your phone, remove your network wifi and go strictly by your cellular wifi.  I tried that and it worked.  Also check your phone settings for your ESPN app and be sure that your provider information is correct.  Here are all the places that I found that I had to check.

1.  Log into the ESPN app setting (Account Information) on your TV and verify that you are logged into your correct cable provider.  You will need to log out of the TV provider.

2.  Verify on your phone that in Settings on the ESPN app, that your correct provider is shown.  I had to delete the app and reinstall to change mine.

3.  Then go back to the ESPN app on your TV, go to settings - Account Information- TV provider and put in your information.  You will have to enter your username and password, then go through the activation process.  BE SURE THAT YOU ARE USING CELLULAR WIFI AND NOT YOUR NETWORK WIFI

This solved my issue.

0 Kudos
Avin

What do this mean 

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@Avin,

Thanks for the first post in the Roku Community!

Can you please provide us with more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? Are you getting an error code or message? In addition, can you please specify the exact steps you are taking to reproduce this issue so we can investigate further?
With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
lmatx
Channel Surfer

I reauthenticated to watch a show on the app. Within a couple of hours I wanted to watch a different show on the app. I tried to change shows and it told me to reauthenticate again. wft?

0 Kudos