Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CableBoy
Roku Guru

Re: Is Anyone Still Using a Roku 3 (with YouTube) or is the Roku3 Dead at this point?

Thanks Dan,

Great information.  Yes, I did buy my unit Retail (online). It was not a Walmart unit.

I found this on the web and it say the 4200 is still supported.  Here is my link:

https://developer.roku.com/docs/specs/hardware.md

Where did you see it was not supported anymore?

0 Kudos
CableBoy
Roku Guru

Re: Is Anyone Still Using a Roku 3 (with YouTube) or is the Roku3 Dead at this point?

Thanks Emissary35,

You are probably right... It might just be time to upgrade. I have 27 apps on my Roku. I wonder if I removed most of the apps, if that would help at all.  I probably really only use about 10 at most.

I have a Roku Ultra on my second TV and that does not get used that much. So maybe I will just swap the Roku's and and put the Roku 3 on the TV that does not get used much.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@CableBoy wrote:

I found this on the web and it say the 4200 is still supported.  Here is my link:

https://developer.roku.com/docs/specs/hardware.md

Where did you see it was not supported anymore?

That is a mistake on my part. I overlooked the 4200 last time I checked that page. 

However, just because Roku still supports a device doesn't mean all channel developers will. I have seen come channel providers drop support for older devices. I think MAX might be one of them. Their support page only states that they support "most" Roku devices with OS 11 or greater. But I do know there are some that won't work on older devices, even if they are still officially supported by Roku.

YouTube in particular has a history of making their apps/channels not work well on older devices, despite claiming they support them. My first Roku was the 2XS (model 3100). The first channel that was impossible to use was YouTube, and at the time my 2XS was only a few years old. I updated to the Stick 3600 and Roku 4, and it worked fine again. 

I've said it before but I'll repeat myself. Google sells a competing product, so they might be disinclined to make a lot of effort supporting older competing devices. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
CableBoy
Roku Guru

Dan,

Good points...

Just for reference, the version of YouTube I am using is 2.20 and the build is 110005159.

and it says its up to date.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@CableBoy wrote:

Dan,

Good points...

Just for reference, the version of YouTube I am using is 2.20 and the build is 110005159.

and it says its up to date.

My Premiere has the same version but the build differs slightly. That's not unusual on different hardware. So yes, it's up to date. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos