Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CableBoy
Roku Guru

Is Anyone Still Using a Roku 3 (with YouTube) or is the Roku3 Dead at this point?

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone is still using a Roku 3 or is it a dead device at this point?

It appears it no longer functions with YouTube...

So if you are still using a Roku 3, I would love to hear from you... 

I  am being told all my problems are due to the fact that the Roku 3 is at End of Life and should go in the trash at this point. I am glad I did not buy a TV with Roku built in.  My Samsung TV is over 10 years old and still working great.

Thanks again,

0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Is Anyone Still Using a Roku 3 (with YouTube) or is the Roku3 Dead at this point?

Hi @CableBoy,

Thanks for keeping the Roku Community posted!

We see that you're having an issue with your Roku 3 streaming device when accessing the YouTube channel.

We'd like to help and see what's going on here. Roku 3 is still being supported. Could you tell us what issue you're running into when accessing the channel? Is this an isolated case, or is this also observed with the rest of the channel on the platform? What are the troubleshooting steps you've taken and what didn't work?

Please tell us more about this so that we can take a deeper look.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CableBoy
Roku Guru

Re: Is Anyone Still Using a Roku 3 (with YouTube) or is the Roku3 Dead at this point?

Hello  Rey,

Thank you for your help. Its good to hear the Roku 3 is still being supported. 

I am experiencing gray screens, freezes, and lose of audio. Mostly with the YouTube channel. It generally occurs when pushing the up, down, forward or backward  buttons.  And the buttons are slow to react. Restarting Roku solves the problem for a little while, But it returns when you start using those buttons again.  I have a Roku Ultra in the other room and it works perfectly.  

I have swapped the Roku's and the problem follows the Roku 3.

I have cleared the cache, performed several factory resets.  I also removed the Micro SD card. I only have 27 apps/channels, so I guess I didn't even need it. 

Here is a quick video of the problem.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6tjN9dUsCs

Sometime the video comes back, but without any video. Several people are having the same issues. 

Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions you might have.

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@CableBoy-

Roku 3 was a really solid streamer when first released in 2013.  Since then later models have received additional capabilities and features, and have greatly expanded installed memory.  Roku 3 is still supported by Roku and is capable of running the current version of the Roku operating software. 

The various channel app developers, though, may not take the Roku 3's limitations in comparison with more up to date models under considerations when they update their apps.

On their website YouTube only lists that they support Roku, without listing which models. 

YouTube TV does list specific models it supports, but there is no indication if this applies to YouTube as well as YouTube TV.   At this date (April 2, 2024) Roku 3 (models 4200x and 4230x) is still on the YouTube TV list but there is no indication of when this list was last updated.

In addition, YouTube is always frogging around with their code, and problems seem to come and go with great frequency.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
CableBoy
Roku Guru

Thanks makalguy for that information. I did not know there were different models of the Roku 3. Mine is a 4230R. I wonder what the "R" means? I wonder how much memory it has?

Does anyone have contact info for the Roku/YouTube development team? Maybe they don't even know there is a problem using YouTube on the Roku 3...

0 Kudos
CableBoy
Roku Guru

I found these specs for the 4230x models. At:  https://developer.roku.com/docs/specs/hardware.md

Roku 3Mustang4230XARM Cortex A9 dual core 1 GHz512 MBOpenGL ES 2.01280X7201920x1080, 60fps***
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

You should just replace that near antique Roku 3 at this point. They have Roku sales all the time you can get a good 4K Express or 4K Streaming Stick for less than $40 sometimes because they go on sale for short periods all the time.

They just had an Amazon exclusive Roku sale for the 4K Express with Voice Remote Pro for $34.99 this past weekend. Now it's gone up to $49.99 but there are still others on sale. If I were you I'd get a new one cheap when there is a good deal and toss that Roku 3 in a drawer.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

As noted, there are two versions of the Roku 3. The 4200 has already been declared legacy by Roku, meaning it is no longer supported. The 4230 is a touch more recent (released Apr 2015) but still nine years old. I expect the 4230 will be declared legacy in the not too distant future, as it's simply been outclassed by newer hardware.  Yours has 512MB of operating memory and 256MB of channel storage, both which are now too little for modern applications, and likely at least part of the issue with channels such as YouTube.

The "R" at the end of your model number is simply a marker for how it was distributed. The R stands for Retail, while RW was for devices available at Walmart. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
CableBoy
Roku Guru

Hello Emissary35,

Thanks for the advise. I am sure just buying a new device would probably be the easy way to get YouTube back again. 

But according to Roku, the Roku 3 is still a supported model capable of using the current OS. If YouTube is not working on supported hardware (my Roku 3), how long will it be before it no longer works on newer supported hardware? I am not getting any warm feelings with YouTube on Roku.

How many years should one expect to get out of the hardware/software?

0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

That is the problem with all internet connected devices. Eventually operating system and app updates will make the device slow and eventually unusable as it is not capable or running the newer software and apps. It's not that the devices get slower and are no good, it's the fact that everything advances beyond them which makes them obsolete. If you buy a new Roku you'll have years of good use out of it because devices now are much more capable than older generations.

0 Kudos