Features, settings & updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlw777
Level 7

Re: Increasing memory on a Roku Model: 4200x - Roku 3.

Jump to solution

I believe my 4200 does have a slot for Micro SD Card.  I ordered one, but it isn't the right size.  How do you know which Micro SD card to order?  Is there a SKU# or something to identify with Amazon?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@jlw777 wrote:

I believe my 4200 does have a slot for Micro SD Card.  I ordered one, but it isn't the right size.  How do you know which Micro SD card to order? 

The Micro SD card is too small a form factor. You need the "regular" SD card, such as these. However, adding an SD card really doesn't do much on your player. It only does one thing, and that is increase your channel storage memory. Your player only has 256 MB of channel storage, so if you have more than maybe a couple dozen channels you run out of space for them. What the Roku does is offload the least used channel to load the requested channel, assuming it's not already in storage. For the channels you regularly use, they will likely always be in storage, so the SD card will do nothing. It won't make the Roku faster, more responsive, or work better within a given channel.

Also, you can buy SD cards with many GBs of memory. But the Roku will only use about 2 GB, so installing a 100 GB card is just wasted space and money. The problem is you won't find a lot of SD cards that small anymore. 

I have a number of Roku players with an SD card slot, and I've never installed one. My Ultra 4670 is the only device that ever popped up a message about using a card, and I have around 48 channels installed. Considering the problems people have had with a bad SD card making their Roku stop booting, I don't think it's worth the bother. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
jlw777
Level 7

Jump to solution

Very helpful.  However, when I try to bring up channels (e.g. Apple TV or Hulu) it says to get the MicroSD card and then it takes about 2 minutes to download the channel.  Should I get a different Roku device or a new Roku TV??

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Well, the 4200 was released in Mar 2013, so it's approaching 9 years old. As mentioned, it has very little channel storage space, and would have issues running some of the latest channels. My recommendations for the best budget player would be the Express 4K/4K+, even if you don't have a 4K TV. I don't recommend the basic Express at all. It's just a bit more money for a far better player. If you require a wired connection, you either need the Ultra (most expensive Roku model) or you can add a USB network dongle to the Express 4K models. 

While I like Roku TVs, and have two myself, I prefer to buy a separate player and connect it to the best TV I can afford. Then when newer players come out with better specs, I'm not tossing a perfectly good TV out just to get a better streaming experience. It's far less expensive to replace a streaming player than a streaming TV (even though almost every TV on the market has streaming built into it).

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos