Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JareBear
Channel Surfer

How to fix Roku update 10.5 that just 'broke' all of my channels

Jump to solution

I apologize in advance if there are previous topics similar to mine, but all of them I found were closed and I couldn't post on them, nor were the ones I saw exactly the same.  I also found no solution in them, just that Roku said the issue is believed resolved.

However, I just took the Roku 10.5 update about an hour ago, and now all of my channels are broken.  

Every channel I select gets stuck on a loading pop-up until it eventually times out.  I've tried HULU, Netflix, Disney+, and more.

I have restarted multiple times, and tried checking for updates again.  Checked connections, and they're all good.

Model: 4400x - Roku 4

Serial #: YY00C9113419

Software version: 10.5.0 - build 4174-17

Device ID: 4U966C113419

5 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to fix Roku update 10.5 that just 'broke' all of my channels

Jump to solution

@JareBear 

Have you tried reinstalling one of the affected apps? If not, pick one to try this on. Then...

1. Remove the app
  2. Reboot the Roku
  3. Reinstall the app

Note that you must do all three steps in order.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

JareBear
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku update 10.5 just broke all of my channels

Jump to solution

I got a version update again last night, and it broke all of my channels again.  

Software version: 10.5.0 - build 4181-17 is the new version.

This time I did figure out something that worked and seemed a more logical potential fix.  While on the channel (in this case I was on Hulu), hit "*" then update channels.  It looked like it only updated Disney+, but previously no channels worked and after I did that update to Hulu, it said Hulu was updated and all channels already to be working again.

Maybe that will help someone else out as well.  Also, Roku, please stop breaking everything.

Cm_
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I didn’t revert, I guess there is no way to.  It was a full factory reset of the tv from settings or system/advanced settings and letting it wipe everything, then download all the updates fresh.  Try resetting your router too.  Takes a while to set everything back up but this is what worked for me.

0 Kudos
Lora
Channel Surfer

FIX worked for me: Re: Roku update 10.5 just broke all of my channels

Jump to solution

FOUND a FIX! Was having the same problem.  Once you open up your apps. Go to any of them (do not click to open)

Simply press the * on your remote.  It will ask you if you want to update, click yes.  This worked for me, hopefully this will help you as well.

Lora

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

In order for us to best assist you, we will need more information about the issue you are experiencing.

If you are experiencing an issue regarding Roku Ultra devices, please see this post.

Likewise, if you are experiencing an issue on Roku TV, please see this thread.

In order to avoid further confusion, and multiple threads for the same issue, we are closing this thread out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

0 Kudos
53 REPLIES 53
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@JareBear 

Have you tried reinstalling one of the affected apps? If not, pick one to try this on. Then...

1. Remove the app
  2. Reboot the Roku
  3. Reinstall the app

Note that you must do all three steps in order.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

makaiguy

Jump to solution

@JareBear-

Manually running an additional update check as soon as you receive the Roku update can make sure you have the latest versions of all your channel apps and prevent many update-related problems (Settings > System > System update > Check now).

And for good measure, I always do a System Restart after updating. From the Roku home screen use menu path Settings > System > System restart. (On a Roku TV the menu path is Settings > System > Power > System restart.)

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
JareBear
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@DBDukes 

I would consider this a very unfortunate solution considering the number of channels/apps I would have to uninstall and reinstall, however I did try to do this and it got stuck on the "Removing Channel" pop-up when I attempt to remove one.  I tried as soon as you posted, and gave it a little over 10 minutes. The "circle of death" continued spinning and the pop-up never went away (similar to the loading channel pop-up never going away).  Since at this point there's no way to get back to the home screen I was forced to restart.

Forced to unplug the Roku to restart it, I had hoped the uninstalled/removed channel would be gone, but it was not.  

I then thought, hey, I'll try again after being stuck on the pop-up for 10+ minutes, and sure enough, even though nothing is different, I'd already restarted and unplugged multiple times, all channels seem to magically be working again.

Not sure why, but I guess if anyone else has this happen, they'll know the solution is to restart, unplug multiple times, attempt to remove a channel, even unsuccessfully, and then unplug and restart again, haha.

More likely I suspect this was a network issue on Roku's end, but I do appreciate your tips.

Cameron87

Jump to solution

I have the same problem.  Happened right after the update it got on Oct 7 @4:30pm (according to Roku system update pannel).  I tried the "check now" for new updates and it is just spinning.  I feel like the latest update just bricked by Roku.  I also agree that the "just reinstall the channel" solution is a terrible one.  Given how many channels people have (which require auth) is unreasonable.  That would be like getting a Windows patch and having remove then reinstall all your apps.

0 Kudos
Leo1171
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

10.5 Bricked my Roku3.  My Ultra is still on 10.0 and is working fine.  Has anyone tried a factory reset to erase everything and start again.  I also have a ton of channels, but I only watch a handful of them.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Leo1171 

If you decide to try a factory reset (probably your only option if it's bricked), keep in mind that it will download all of your apps once you connect it to your Roku account. If you plan to do a cleanup of apps, now would be the time, using one of your other Roku devices on the same account.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
Cameron87

Jump to solution

Ok, I managed to get it to work again without a reinstall.  I had to go to the Software Update screen and select update.  This took a LONG time to run and seemed to freeze, but eventually, the Roku restarted and everything was working again.  Yes, I have already tried rebooting the device, unplugging it and waiting, etc.

Leo1171
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@Cameron87, what did you update to?  I'm still on 10.5.0 build 4174.  I'm worried about when my other Roku's decide to update, will they also have the same problem?  Is anyone experiencing this on an Ultra?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Guynraleigh01
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,                  

I have the same issue Spotify have stopped working after the update and now

please help!

0 Kudos