Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brlej

How to change location id from one state to another.

How to change location id from one state to another. Roku must have my location as GA because we get all the Ga commercials. I live in TN. It has be in my account set up somewhere because all new tv's have Ga commercials.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to change location id from one state to another.

Roku does offer a place in the settings menu to enter your zip code. I can't say for certain that will change the behavior you are seeing. The reason is, many providers use your IP address to determine your location. If your ISP is making your public connection somewhere other than where you live, you might still get ads based on the public connection location.

I can provide an example. My employer (the US Govmt) has an international private network for all our computers. This means I can reach a server in Guam, Alaska, Florida or Maine without needing to go through the public Internet. All our Internet access goes through a single public connection in Oklahoma City. All the public web pages think I'm in OKC, so I see tons of ads for that location, even though I'm in the Seattle area.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos