Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cauliflower
Binge Watcher

Headphones While Using Roku Device

I have a new Hisense Google Smart TV and I have a Roku device hooked up to it as an HDMI connection. And even though I can listen to my Smart TV through my headphones, when I switch over to the HDMI Roku source and use my Roku device, the headphones won't work. Also, I've tried all the Roku sound settings, but it doesn't appear that there are any for headphones.

However, I did used to have a Samsung Smart TV, but with that TV, it had controls where you could switch off external speakers and turn on headphones, but which would be for all sources. However, with this Hisense TV, it seems as if the headphone capacity cuts off when the source is changed to HDMI. Therefore, does anyone know anything about this or if there's a way that I can get my headphones to play with my Roku device?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Headphones While Using Roku Device

Your issue is with the TV, not the Roku. Not all TVs will output the audio from external devices through a headphone jack.

You have two possible choices to use headphones with your Roku player. One is to get one of the Roku Voice Remotes and pair it to your Roku. I believe it can be added to any player other than the basic Express model. This remote has volume buttons and a headphone jack, and can feed the Roku audio from that jack. Just remember that your remote batteries will be drained fairly fast if you use the headphone jack for an extended period of time. Make sure you unplug the headphones from the remote when not in use. 

The other option is to use a phone or tablet, install the Roku app (free), and play the audio through headphones connected to the phone or tablet. That too will drain the battery faster, but since it's a larger battery than the Roku remote it should last much longer, and of course you just plug the phone/tablet back in to charge. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
makaiguy

@Cauliflower-

@atc98092 wrote:

You have two possible choices to use headphones with your Roku player. One is to get one of the Roku Voice Remotes and pair it to your Roku. I believe it can be added to any player other than the basic Express model. This remote has volume buttons and a headphone jack, and can feed the Roku audio from that jack.

Both the Voice Remote and the Voice Remote Pro have buttons to control the TV volume. Only the Voice Remote Pro has a headphone jack for remote listening.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
atc98092

@makaiguy wrote:

Both the Voice Remote and the Voice Remote Pro have buttons to control the TV volume. Only the Voice Remote Pro has a headphone jack for remote listening.

I didn't realize they removed that option from the standard voice remote. But that apparently happened some time ago, as I see the remote sitting next to me (which was one I picked up a couple of years ago to update my Premiere) doesn't have a headphone jack. I did go look at the Voice Remote that came with my Ultra 4640 and it does have a jack. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos