Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gullidad
Reel Rookie

Has Watching Roku Channel on iOS via Mobile App Changed?

Jump to solution

I used to be able to use the Mobile App on iOS to watch Roku Channel offerings.  As I recall, there was an icon at the bottom of the Home screen that said "Live TV" or something.  I no longer find that icon.  When I select "Roku Channel" on the Home screen, it turns on my TV and starts showing it there.

Am I missing something, or has this function of the app changed?

If it's changed, how exactly do I watch Roku Channel offerings directly on my iPad?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Has Watching Roku Channel on iOS via Mobile App Changed?

Jump to solution

@gullidad,

Try to hit a show that is under The Roku Channel, and when prompted, select the option "Watch now on mobile."

Let us know if it allows you to play the show.

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

gullidad
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I think this might be it.  Looks like, as I suspected, I was missing something that was there all along.

There are actually two "Roku Channel" selections on my mobile app home page.  The first is an icon right at the top under the category, "Watch on TV".  That's not the one I want.

I have to scroll down a bit to get to the second Roku Channel selection, which is actually a category in itself, named, "The Roku Channel."  If I select icons from that category I do, indeed, get the option to watch on mobile.

That's what I was looking for.

Thanks, and I think we can call this one Solved.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @gullidad,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We'd like to help. Could you please provide us with the details below?

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About) mobile device brand, model, and OS
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
gullidad
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
Spoiler
Hi, Rey,

Thanks for the help.

One of the mobile devices I'm using (I've tried on both an iPhone and an iPad with same results) is an iPhone 12 using iOS 16.7.2 and the version number of the Roku mobile app is 9.8.1.8374751.7, which it says is the latest version.

There's actually no Roku device involved in what I want to do.  I'm trying to watch Roku Channel content directly on the iOS device without going through a Roku device.  What I want to do is described in the FAQ at www[dot]roku[dot]com/whats-on/the-roku-channel/roku-originals under the question: "Do I need a Roku device to watch Roku Originals?" (The answer is "no".)

I just don't find a way that the Roku mobile app enables me to do that.  I don't doubt that the functionality is there but I'm missing something, and would love for you to instruct me in how to do it.

Thanks.

-- Edgar

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for clarifying @gullidad!

We'll communicate this over to the appropriate Roku team for further review and we'll get back with an update about this.

Best regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
gullidad
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi, Rey,

Through experimentation, trial, and error (mostly error), I think I'm approaching the answer to my own question.

It looks like it has to do with the home-page category from which I select something to watch.  When selected from some categories (e.g. "Watch on TV"), the Roku turns on my TV and starts playing (not what I want), and selected from other categories (e.g. "Watch Live TV"), it brings up another screen that offers me the choice to "Watch now on mobile."  (That's the one I want.)

I haven't figured out yet how to tell what's available on mobile before I actually select it, but I'm still experimenting.  If your colleagues come back to you with a definitive answer on how to use the watch-on-mobile function, I'm still looking forward to their educating me.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

@gullidad,

Try to hit a show that is under The Roku Channel, and when prompted, select the option "Watch now on mobile."

Let us know if it allows you to play the show.

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
gullidad
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I think this might be it.  Looks like, as I suspected, I was missing something that was there all along.

There are actually two "Roku Channel" selections on my mobile app home page.  The first is an icon right at the top under the category, "Watch on TV".  That's not the one I want.

I have to scroll down a bit to get to the second Roku Channel selection, which is actually a category in itself, named, "The Roku Channel."  If I select icons from that category I do, indeed, get the option to watch on mobile.

That's what I was looking for.

Thanks, and I think we can call this one Solved.