Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Roger57
Reel Rookie

HDMI Imputs using 4K+ stick - basic problem

Help. Have a ROKU TV no problem. Installed a 4K stick on my Samsung but cannot set HDMI default nor place my Cable HDMI on Home Page. Switching HDMI with TV remote is a pain and I suspect I was wrong thinking a stick = ROKU TV. Am I snookered?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: HDMI Imputs using 4K+ stick - basic problem

A Roku stick is definitely not a TV.  The TV still controls itself when input devices are attached to it.  (I happen to prefer separate media players myself but to each his own.) 

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

If your tv supports HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronic Control), turn on this feature. Unfortunately many tv manufacturers call this feature by their own proprietary names.  Some common ones:

AOC: E-link
Hitachi: HDMI-CEC (Thank you, Hitachi!)
LG: SimpLink or SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC)
Mitsubishi: NetCommand for HDMI
Onkyo: RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI)
Panasonic: HDAVI Control, EZ-Sync, or VIERA Link
Philips: EasyLink
Pioneer: Kuro Link
Runco International: RuncoLink
Samsung: Anynet+
Sharp: Aquos Link
Sony: BRAVIA Sync
Toshiba: CE-Link or Regza Link
Vizio: CEC (Thank you, Vizio!)

With CEC enabled on the tv, pressing a button on your Roku remote should switch the tv to the HDMI port to which your Roku is connected without you having to do it via the tv remote. To turn this feature on in your Roku, enable "1-touch play" via Roku menu path Settings > System > Control other devices (yeah, Roku has a proprietary name for CEC also)

Notes:

• On some TV's you may need to have the tv do a scan or search for connected CEC devices.
  • If your cable box also has a CEC function, pressing a button on the cable remote may also switch the tv to your cable connection.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Roger57
Reel Rookie

Thanks. My issue is that once at Roku Home  via Roku remote, I need to use tv remote to switch back to cable input when done with Roku. Not an issue on my Roku tv as I have the cable input as a tile on Roku Home. I saw another reply just now ( thanks to that person) and sounds like with a stick, I will not be able to change inputs away from Roku without tv remote. Limitation of stick vs tv. Correct?

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

You can see if your cable box has any HDMI-CEC features that you can activate.

The stick has no stick-specific limitations in this regard.  It's the same as any other Roku, or a Blu-Ray player, etc.  As far as I have seen, when devices support HDMI-CEC, they will switch the TV to them (sometimes when people don’t want them to), but I have never seen a device that allows HDMI-CEC to switch inputs to some other device (for example, device connected to HDMI1 causing TV to switch to HDMI2.)  I have no idea if HDMI-CEC even allows that.

How about your cable box remote?  Does that have an input button that can be programmed to your TV?