Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OBrienH

Guest mode major issue

I manage a small property with 38 rooms. We are trying to leave cable and transitioning to Roku Tv. I set up all the accounts and set them up all in guest mode. We have access points all over the property with 5G and 2G excellent signal and they are all updated with the latest software. They work perfectly fine BUT The issue comes when signing out from guest mode. After the guest leaves or if they forgot to sign out and we sign them out manually instead of going back to the guest mode welcome screen it goes to a screen asking me to input an email to set up the device with an account. On the website the device still shows connected and with guest mode enable (if I sign them out through the website sometimes goes to the welcome screen sometimes goes to the requesting email screen) The only way I can make the device work again is by giving it the email, going to the email and using the link to set up the device and going to the Roku website and setting the device all over again as a new one. This is an intermittent issue and sometimes it doesn't happen. I would like to resolve this as soon as possible. Please do not send me the guest mode article as I already know it by heart and there is no solution there. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Guest mode major issue

I don't have an answer, but I do have a question.  What happens if a guest factory resets a Roku device using the reset button (I assume it can't be done from the menu) while it's in guest mode?  Could that be happening?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
dtseml
Channel Surfer

I'm experiencing the same issue...  After a checkout, the device goes back to the "Let's get started", which then requires the next guest to select language and connect to wifi.  At this point, I have limited remote control -- appears I can click the "enable guest mode" on the account dashboard, which then restarts the device and back to the "Let's get started" screen.

0 Kudos
dtseml
Channel Surfer

not in my case... I have 2 devices in front of me, and was testing guest mode so that i could write up a troubleshooting document for renters.  1 device at checkout went to "let's get started", the other went back to the guest mode welcome screen.

0 Kudos
Acastrellon
Reel Rookie

What device types are you using? I just got the streaming 4k + and testing I got that issue both times the guest mode expired.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Acastrellon

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? Why is your device is guest mode? Did you set up the Roku device to be set in guest mode?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Acastrellon
Reel Rookie

Hi Danny,

Yes I bought the devices to set on my rental property.  I will only use for that purpose and the guest mode feature was of main interest.  After testing with the 2 devices I bought, i notice that after sign out date, either the device signs out successfully or it drops the home app  tiles and I have to go to the sign out, then it doesnt.  I have to initiate a system restart.  Other times it gets stuck in a 1969 date and requires me to restart or click that signout date and then it will immediately expire and then signs out and restarts.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Acastrellon

Thanks for the follow up.

In order for us to further investigate this issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-exact steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 
-relevant screenshots that will allow us to better understand the issue

With more detailed information, we will be able to investigate and assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos