Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sithel
Channel Surfer

First action when resuming

Jump to solution

After pausing a program and coming back once the screen saver has started, I noticed an issue.  The first button press you make ends up being executed.  Therefore, I usually try to hit the play button (because the back button will take me out of a show, etc).  Unfortunately, sometimes this is interpreted by the software as a command to install whatever channel might be active in a screensaver or something else at the time.  This means that there is no good button to press when resuming a show after more than a couple minutes, which is very frustrating.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: First action when resuming

Jump to solution

Never ever, ever use the Play/Pause or OK buttons to dismiss a screensaver.  You never know what Roku will foist on you if you do that.  Only those buttons will perform an action (and I don't think the OK button is used anymore, but it used to be).  Use literally any other non-TV control button on the remote.  No other button will have any effect other than to dismiss the screensaver.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Never ever, ever use the Play/Pause or OK buttons to dismiss a screensaver.  You never know what Roku will foist on you if you do that.  Only those buttons will perform an action (and I don't think the OK button is used anymore, but it used to be).  Use literally any other non-TV control button on the remote.  No other button will have any effect other than to dismiss the screensaver.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
sithel
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yes, kind of silly that I can't use the play/pause button to resume playing (i.e. unpause).

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
@sithel wrote:

Yes, kind of silly that I can't use the play/pause button to resume playing (i.e. unpause).

Yes, it was/is a terrible UX/UI design choice by the Roku developers - they could easily have chosen the Options (*) button instead, which is far more intuitive and makes more sense to...optionally load/install screensaver advertised content, but that was far too obvious/made too much sense, so they chose the worst possible/most likely to accidentally load/install the pushed content button -  play/pause.

Regardless, use a different Roku screensaver (without ads):  Analog Clock/Digital Clock/Mobile/4K/Skyline/Aquatic Life/Logo Rain

0 Kudos