Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ScooterB
Reel Rookie

Fed up with theme packs, wallpaper and screen saver settings changing

Jump to solution

How can I lock my personalized settings for themes, wallpaper and screensaver setting from changing to ugly Disney advertising and seasonal graphics?

I am fed up with taking time to set up my preferred settings for each of these on two different devices only to come back a few weeks or even days later to find all my settings changed to things I absolutely do not want to see on my screen. It used to only happen very rarely and I think it was limited to when I had to do an update on my Roku Box.

@Roku Support: I don’t want or need anything new or more engaging. I just want control of my settings on my devices for my TVs that can not be changed without my permission. If this can be resolved I will look for another service.

Labels (2)
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
ScooterB
Reel Rookie

Re: Fed up with theme packs, wallpaper and screen saver settings changing

Jump to solution

I suspect that Roku;

1) Get’s advertising money since the theme packs frequently change to promoting paid streaming options like Disney with the recent “Little Mermaid” theme that coincide with newer movie streaming releases. The new theme packs they over ride our previous choices with always coincide with promoting specific streaming service. Ironically I already paid for the three year introductory Disney offer strictly for the Star Wars content. But I have no intention of renewing it when it expires due to Disney’s political activism. Seeing more forced Disney advertising on Roku only reinforces my decision to cancel them. 

2) Roku offers some optional third party settings content in settings that require additional fees. I would never pay for something ridiculous like that but Roku may be trying to find a way to generate more income by forcing people to revisit the paid options until some or more people waste money on those features.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@ScooterB-

And I suspect that you have not availed yourself of the options already available to you, as previously mentioned by @renojim.

I'll spell them out for you more directly.

From your Roku home screen go to Roku menu path Settings > Theme.  Click OK on Theme.

Scroll down to Seasonal wallpapers and Sponsored wallpapers.  Turn both of them OFF.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

ScooterB
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank You!!!!!

After going back to the Settings page for Themes I do recall seeing an “Additional Settings” (as listed below) however being that these additional (aka optional) settings were the last thing and complete opposite of anything I would want to enable I had no reason to add another variable to mess. 🙄 

Additional Settings 

- Seasonal Wallpapers 

-Sponsored Wallpapers

- Wallpaper Animations

The logical assumption would be that any additional or optional tweaks to your settings at the bottom of the menu for Themes and Wallpapers etc would be disabled by default and not something that at some point in time came pre-enabled after a software update.

I have been using Roku devices for over ten years and then suddenly one day a year or two back without any notice or user initiated change my presets would change themselves once or twice a year at first and then with more increasing frequency like twice a month.

Thanks again I am relieved to know it should be an issues again in the future.

34 REPLIES 34
renojim

Jump to solution

Did you turn off "Seasonal" and "Sponsored" wallpapers under Settings->Theme?

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Cody117

Jump to solution

I’m also pissed they change it very often, why do they allow us to pick one if they change it???? 😳 

0 Kudos
ScooterB
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I suspect that Roku;

1) Get’s advertising money since the theme packs frequently change to promoting paid streaming options like Disney with the recent “Little Mermaid” theme that coincide with newer movie streaming releases. The new theme packs they over ride our previous choices with always coincide with promoting specific streaming service. Ironically I already paid for the three year introductory Disney offer strictly for the Star Wars content. But I have no intention of renewing it when it expires due to Disney’s political activism. Seeing more forced Disney advertising on Roku only reinforces my decision to cancel them. 

2) Roku offers some optional third party settings content in settings that require additional fees. I would never pay for something ridiculous like that but Roku may be trying to find a way to generate more income by forcing people to revisit the paid options until some or more people waste money on those features.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@ScooterB-

And I suspect that you have not availed yourself of the options already available to you, as previously mentioned by @renojim.

I'll spell them out for you more directly.

From your Roku home screen go to Roku menu path Settings > Theme.  Click OK on Theme.

Scroll down to Seasonal wallpapers and Sponsored wallpapers.  Turn both of them OFF.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
ScooterB
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank You!!!!!

After going back to the Settings page for Themes I do recall seeing an “Additional Settings” (as listed below) however being that these additional (aka optional) settings were the last thing and complete opposite of anything I would want to enable I had no reason to add another variable to mess. 🙄 

Additional Settings 

- Seasonal Wallpapers 

-Sponsored Wallpapers

- Wallpaper Animations

The logical assumption would be that any additional or optional tweaks to your settings at the bottom of the menu for Themes and Wallpapers etc would be disabled by default and not something that at some point in time came pre-enabled after a software update.

I have been using Roku devices for over ten years and then suddenly one day a year or two back without any notice or user initiated change my presets would change themselves once or twice a year at first and then with more increasing frequency like twice a month.

Thanks again I am relieved to know it should be an issues again in the future.

scott205
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Had this ROKU a good 6 months. Always worked until recently. Reboot to home screen...ROKU letters bounce and make the sounds, which sometimes is silent as well. Today 'ROKU' bounced and made the default sound. I went to several apps on my home screen, which sound selection then was quiet. The other day went I went to apps it made the selected sound choice but then went silent again when rebooted again. I have unplugged both HDMI/USB power twice...no difference. THX!!!!!

0 Kudos
scott205
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Had this ROKU a good 6 months. Always worked until recently. Reboot to home screen...ROKU letters bounce and make the sounds, which sometimes is silent as well. Today ROKU bounced and made the default sound. I went to several apps on my home screen, which sound selection then was quiet. The other day went I went to apps it made the selected sound choice but then went silent again when rebooted again. I have unplugged both HDMI/USB power twice...no difference. THX

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @scott205

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

We appreciate your time and effort in sharing this information with us. Have you tried performing a system restart from Settings > System > Power (skip if no sub-menu) System Restart? This will clear some cache on the device for optimal use. Additionally, could you please provide with us an image or a video referring to the issue you've experienced? This would help us grasp this issue better.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
scott205
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thx for the reply. As I mentioned previously, I have rebooted, cleared cache, restarted more than once. There is NO video to picture...it is a sound issue. Again the sound selection feature worked great for 6 months now has went silent except for the ROKU bounce at the beginning. It still has sound (bubbles like) but after that anything I do (Go to any apps) on the home page it is silent. Then one day it was working, now its back to silent.

0 Kudos