Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alfred08
Binge Watcher

Express 4k + auto power off

Jump to solution

I just setup a Roku Express 4k + and am a little confused with the auto power off feature.

The TV is an old Dynex

I thought it would automatically power off the TV after the selected duration.

However it seems that the auto power off setting turns off the Roku box.

I could not get any signal on thevTV HDMI input.

Then I accidentally pressed one of the arrow buttons and the Roku Express video appeared again on the TV.

Mu father would not know what to do if this happened.

Is this the correct operation?

If so, then can I disable the auto power off in that case?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Express 4k + auto power off

Jump to solution

@Alfred08 

This Support Article https://support.roku.com/article/6306527767575 describes what the Auto-Power Savings feature is and how to disable. (also described by @Strega2 ).

Basically, if the Roku detects an inactive Roku state (no active streaming or remote presses), it is supposed to put the Roku device into a sleep state and attempt to turn off the TV.

None of my Roku devices are able to power off my TVs though, so may just be manufacturer or model dependent.  You should also verify that your HDMI CEC is Enabled in your TV settings (using your TV remote, not the Roku remote) to help the Roku device communicate with your TV functions if you want to see if this feature works for you when Enabled.

----

As mentioned by @Strega2 also, I don't think having the Power Savings feature Enabled is worth some of the issues it potentially causes with HDMI/HDCP errors.

Just make sure to press the Home button after you are finished your streaming session (to return to Home Screen) and then press Power to turn off the TV.  The Roku device should fall asleep after a few minutes.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Yes, and Yes.

Settings -> System -> Power -> Auto power savings

Pressing a key to wake something up may not be as hard to remember as you think, but you can turn it off if you wish. Rokus don’t use that much power anyways.

Banned but back. Because why not?
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Alfred08 

This Support Article https://support.roku.com/article/6306527767575 describes what the Auto-Power Savings feature is and how to disable. (also described by @Strega2 ).

Basically, if the Roku detects an inactive Roku state (no active streaming or remote presses), it is supposed to put the Roku device into a sleep state and attempt to turn off the TV.

None of my Roku devices are able to power off my TVs though, so may just be manufacturer or model dependent.  You should also verify that your HDMI CEC is Enabled in your TV settings (using your TV remote, not the Roku remote) to help the Roku device communicate with your TV functions if you want to see if this feature works for you when Enabled.

----

As mentioned by @Strega2 also, I don't think having the Power Savings feature Enabled is worth some of the issues it potentially causes with HDMI/HDCP errors.

Just make sure to press the Home button after you are finished your streaming session (to return to Home Screen) and then press Power to turn off the TV.  The Roku device should fall asleep after a few minutes.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Alfred08
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I will check that article and disable the auto power off.

I do not believe the TV is CEC.  It is an old Dynex DX-21I151A11

It is correct that a button press is not that difficult.  However my father has alzheimers and that simple task can be impossible for him to learn and remember

0 Kudos