Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TeslaMS

Does private listening autosync with BT speakers?

Jump to solution

I have an old plasma TV/Monitor that does not have built in speakers. To workaround this I thought to use a Roku streaming stick connected to BT speakers using private listening (PL). In this concept, the BT speakers would be dedicated to the TV and not moved around. I have the Roku device, but no BT speakers to test this theory. Before I order them I wanted to see if others may know if this would work.

If I have a Roku stick with PL built in (i.e. do not use to use the mobile app for PL) to the device, and I do an initial configuration/pairing between the device and the BT speakers, will I have to pair it EVERY time I start the Roku device, or will it autosync?

The hope is that since the TV doesn't have its own speakers, the wireless BT speakers will sync seamlessly each time so its just as good as if the TV had its own speakers.

Will this work?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Does private listening autosync with BT speakers?

Jump to solution

Neither Roku devices nor their remotes have BT transmitters to send audio to your speakers.  The Voice Remote Pro remote does at least support private listening via a headphone jack on the remote.  You could connect a separate BT transmitter to this jack and transmit to your speakers that way.

How committed are you to Bluetooth?  You could run the Roku's HDMI output through an HDMI splitter that separates the audio into a separate output, run the audio into self powered speaker(s) and the HDMI output to the monitor.

Have you tried connecting the Roku to your monitor to verify the video works?  I wouldn't be surprised if an old monitor does not incorporate the HDCP (High Definition Copy Protection) capability required by the Roku's HDMI output.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Neither Roku devices nor their remotes have BT transmitters to send audio to your speakers.  The Voice Remote Pro remote does at least support private listening via a headphone jack on the remote.  You could connect a separate BT transmitter to this jack and transmit to your speakers that way.

How committed are you to Bluetooth?  You could run the Roku's HDMI output through an HDMI splitter that separates the audio into a separate output, run the audio into self powered speaker(s) and the HDMI output to the monitor.

Have you tried connecting the Roku to your monitor to verify the video works?  I wouldn't be surprised if an old monitor does not incorporate the HDCP (High Definition Copy Protection) capability required by the Roku's HDMI output.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
TeslaMS

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response.

There is a way to stream Roku audio to BT speakers. If the Roku remote has an audio out/headphone jack, it PL is native. If the remote does not, the app can still be used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr7mCTwdw2Y

Yes, I hooked up the roku stick and used headphones plugged into the remote and it worked perfectly.

0 Kudos