Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ad34754932
Streaming Star

Does Roku Have Playlist m3u Support?

The Roku Media Player is not recognizing the m3u playlist files that are links to the actual audio files on USB drive.   Does Roku Ultra not support m3u files?

9 REPLIES 9
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: Does Roku Have Playlist m3u Support?

Hi @ad34754932

Thanks for your inquiry. 

Does the music files are the only ones not working? Have you tried to manually scan all the audio files to build a database of your content? Use the steps described below.

1. Launch Roku Media Player
  2. Select the icon for All, Video, Audio, or Photo
  3. On the Select Media device screen, make sure the icon for your USB drive is highlighted in the center of your screen
  4. Press Star on your Roku remote to display information about your USB drive.
  5. Select Scan
    • Note: If Roku Media Player already built a database of the content on your USB drive, Scan may not appear.

Please be guided through this link if you are encountering errors accessing the Roku Media Player: How to use Roku Media Player to play your videos, music and photos

Kindly keep us posted on how it goes. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
ad34754932
Streaming Star

Hello,

I did a re-scan of the USB Drive.  It then found my sample Playlist m3u however it wouldn't recognize links:

"No compatible media found in Playlist_Dan.m3u"

I created the playlist using Text Edit on MacOS:

/Volumes/KMUSIC/Phil Collins/The Singles Disc 2/05 Phil Collins - One More Night.mp3
/Volumes/KMUSIC/Poco/Legend/05 - Love Comes Love Goes.mp3
/Volumes/KMUSIC/Outfield, The/Play Deep/01 - Say It Isn't So.mp3
/Volumes/KMUSIC/Romantics, The/Super Hits/02 Talking In Your Sleep.mp3
/Volumes/KMUSIC/Jump, Little Children/Vertigo/09 - Words Of Wisdom.mp3

So these links work on MacOS but not on Roku.   Is there a Universal way to specify folder path so works on all platforms?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@ad34754932 

Try creating a M3U playlist in the following format. (you should be able to use any text editor and just save as m3u file type.)

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:,One More Night.mp3
Volumes/KMUSIC/Phil Collins/The Singles Disc 2/05 Phil Collins - One More Night.mp3
#EXTINF:,Love Comes Love Goes.mp3
Volumes/KMUSIC/Poco/Legend/05 - Love Comes Love Goes.mp3
#EXTINF:,Say It Isn't So.mp3
Volumes/KMUSIC/Outfield, The/Play Deep/01 - Say It Isn't So.mp3

-------

In the above, make sure you specify the file is a M3U by including #EXTM3U at the head (first line) of playlist.  In the #EXTINF line (this is the title that displays/shows), make sure to include the " " before the title unless you include the length of the track/song (generally the number of seconds.  A 3 min song would be formatted as #EXTINFO:90,SongName)  You do not need to add a track length, but need this comma so the title will display.

Just have to make sure that your file tree structure is correct when using playlists with Roku.  Different media players will treat different characters differently and Roku Media Player (RMP) can be a bit finicky.

Try eliminating that first " " preceding "Volumes" directory in your m3u file and see if that is was your sticky point.

-------

There is a discussion on another thread https://community.roku.com/t5/Features-settings-updates/What-is-the-specific-usb-m3u-file-format-for... where the file folder location is discussed (with links to other threads as well for further info), and @atc98092 addresses how to create PLS file formats if you want to try that playlist format as well.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
atc98092

I find PLS format playlists are simpler to create, although I use a free Windows program called Playlist Creator. It is capable of creating both M3U and PLS format playlists. It's far simpler than trying to create them yourself. One tiny typo and the entire list won't work.

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
ad34754932
Streaming Star

Volumes with '/' and without '/' prefix makes no difference on Roku.  Still doesn't recognize Playlist content:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:,One More Night.mp3
Volumes/KMUSIC/Phil Collins/The Singles Disc 2/05 Phil Collins - One More Night.mp3
#EXTINF:,Love Comes Love Goes.mp3
Volumes/KMUSIC/Poco/Legend/05 - Love Comes Love Goes.mp3
#EXTINF:,Say It Isn't So.mp3
Volumes/KMUSIC/Outfield, The/Play Deep/01 - Say It Isn't So.mp3
#EXTINF:,Talking In Your Sleep.mp3
Volumes/KMUSIC/Romantics, The/Super Hits/02 Talking In Your Sleep.mp3
#EXTINF:,Words Of Wisdom.mp3
Volumes/KMUSIC/Jump, Little Children/Vertigo/09 - Words Of Wisdom.mp3

Why doesn't Roku have Wiki on how to format Playlist for Roku Media Player?  KMUSIC is the name of the USB drive.

0 Kudos
atc98092

If I had to guess, when you connect your USB drive to the Roku, the directory mapping doesn't match what you have. Rather than a complete file path, instead use a relative path, such as ./KMUSIC. 

Dan

0 Kudos
ad34754932
Streaming Star

What worked for me to play on Roku...remove Volumes and start with /Folder only.   So like this

#EXTINF:,One More Night
/Phil Collins/The Singles Disc 2/05 Phil Collins - One More Night.mp3

So /indicates root folder on USB then Phile Collins folder.   

Unfortunately this doesn't work in VLC on MacOS.   Wish there was a Standard to format for all OS's.

ad34754932
Streaming Star

Thanks for the Relative Path tip.   I did that but had to also remove the Volume Name 'KMUSIC'.   Now my playlist works on MacOS and Roku.   Like this:

#EXTINF:,Words Of Wisdom
./Jump, Little Children/Vertigo/09 - Words Of Wisdom.mp3

0 Kudos
atc98092

Yeah, I had a hunch the relative path would fix it. Glad you got it figured out!

Dan

0 Kudos