Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ldhida
Reel Rookie

Disconnect Fios Remote from working the Roku

We are desperately trying to disconnect our Fios remote from changing the Roku.   This is maddening…. Every time we turn on our cable with the Fios remote, the Roku turns on as well…which wouldn’t be bad but every time we change a channel….the Roku will be changing all over…..even though we aren’t using it.   We will turn off the cable…and tv….but come back to find that programs have been streaming all day or night….

Verizon has been unable to help me….they referred me to Roku….I contacted Roku months ago…and their options didn’t work….but we are trying again.

The 1-touch feature is unchecked and always has been….the only thing I can think of is to get a new remote from Verizon?  But…if it’s the Roku it will just automatically pair itself to the new remote….as it did with this one.   Will buying a new Roku (this one is only about 15 months old) solve this problem?  Sure hate to spend the money for a new one but…this is crazy.   Help.

Please help.  

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Disconnect Fios Remote from working the Roku

I would guess there's some kind of overlap between the IR codes the remote is sending for Fios or your TV and the codes Roku uses.  Depending on the model number of your Roku, most support the Voice Remotes that don't use IR.  You can then place the Roku device behind your TV or cover it up so your Fios remote signal will never reach it.  Keep in mind that it may make more sense to get a new Roku device that comes with a Voice Remote due to the cost of the remote alone.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

So, the cable box and Roku use a very similar IR code set, nothing can be done to change the IR codes each responds to, sorry. You could switch to Roku Stick like 3820 Roku 4k stick, it doesn't respond to IR commands, and only uses Roku wifi voice remote that won't conflict with cable box. Or could just get wifi voice remote separately and pair to the roku, then bury the Roku in back of the tv so the cable box IR commands can't reach. But the RF commands from the wifi Roku remote would still reach the Roku in back of the tv. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Ldhida
Reel Rookie

I had no idea this could be the case!!!  Why don’t more people have this problem then??  Ok….let me try something…..I think ours does have voice remote on the ROKU but we never use it….me mostly scroll through searching for something…not knowing what we want….but…we will try hiding it behind and see.   Thank you.

0 Kudos
Ldhida
Reel Rookie

I am going to try this.  Thank you.   We have never used the voice remote but will try that…

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Ldhida 

You never said what device you had. The model number is very helpful. Settings > System > About

Depending on the device, I have a low tech solution that may actually work. You'll wind up shaking your head, but here goes.

First, the reasoning. All Roku devices, apart from Sticks, can be controlled by IR codes. All current Roku devices can be controlled by Voice Remotes. And you said you have a Voice Remote.

Since you have a Voice Remote, you don't actually need to use the IR features of the Roku. Meaning the IR sensor serves no purpose at this time.

So (hear me out) you could put a piece of black electrical tape over the IR sensor of the Roku.

Yes, that sounds like a solution straight out of There I Fixed It, but it's cheaper than buying a Stick. Unless of course you just want a stick. In which case you have an excuse.

I'm offering this although the suggestion by @Tivoburkee would accomplish the same thing. If the cabinet doesn't have good air flow, then my suggestion might be an alternative.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Ldhida
Reel Rookie

We have several but the one that’s the issue is the Roku Ultra…..we have had similar before with no issue whatsoever…never a problem like this….but bought this last year because it’s 4K….frustrating but we were talking about building some sort of shield over it….electrical tape is better and easier…Thanks.    Just very frustrating….it didn’t always do this…

0 Kudos