Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vintageladyhd
Reel Rookie

Disappointing...

I am disappointed with my new ROKU Edition TV. It seems they only want you to interface/download their products. Makes it difficult, if not impossible to get a VPN, hide channels that are readily available on other brands. Wish I had done my homework better, I definitely would have bought an Amazon Fire TV. Will be hooking up a Fire stick, and hoping there is not any issues between it and the ROKU. Will seriously consider selling this tv at a loss and buy what I know I can use it as I planned on. Makes cutting the cord for a complete television entertainment experience nearly impossible unless you are a "techie". Can't get LOCAST and others without a VPN. Makes it much harder to get many local channels for free without an antennae instead of having to purchase apps for the same channels🤔.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Disappointing...

Although I have a RokuTV in my kitchen, I still prefer the use a non-integrated television with the stand alone Roku devices (I prefer the players over the sticks, but just my preference, not judging the products).  This way you can use any streaming device you want at the television.  You can connect the Roku, a Firestick, a Chromecast to the same TV set and then switch between them as your needs desire.  I think this setup is much more flexible and will cover any need that a streamer/cord-cutter will need.  I just don't think any individual integrated device can ever satisy every need of every user.  Also, I think it just performs better.  Let the TV do its thing, let the streaming device do its thing.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
renojim

If you're looking to pirate content or circumvent Terms of Service then Roku is not the device for you.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Vintageladyhd
Reel Rookie

Hi... Is adding a VPN and or Downloader to a streaming device such as ROKU a pirating issue? That's the main issue I was talking about... not to be able to access premium channels for free illegally. I just would like to have a VPN to protect my stuff, and be able to use apps to connect to different locations/apps such as LOCAST. Nothing illegal... Thx 😔

0 Kudos
Vintageladyhd
Reel Rookie

Hi.. I have been doing 'research', mostly via YOUTUBE, about cord cutting from cable. Tired of paying the exorbitant cost of that when I know I can get what I want to watch for a fraction of the cost. It's just I did not realize all Branded Edition televisions are not created equal! Amazon Fire TV and Sticks are just an add away, like another app, of downloading a VPN and Downloader. And so far, trying to get XTV, even thru my ROKU acct page, seems to be out of my technical expertise, though I did get a message that it WAS downloaded to my ROKU tv and would show up within 24 hours. Or if I updated through settings on the tv, would get it right away. Well... did NOT get it through the updater in settings, and 36 hours later, XTV still has NOT shown up on my downloaded apps. I just thought getting ROKU for free for life, plus a good price on a 58" Television... how can I go wrong? Little did I know... bite the bullet and hope my FIRESTICK doesn't glitch plugged into the ROKU EDITION television... 😋

0 Kudos
Vintageladyhd
Reel Rookie

Besides, have realized the ROKU is not for me... but thanks for the observation. 🙄

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Vintageladyhd 

Yes, the Roku is designed more so to "discourage/prevent" streaming content in a manner to circumvent copyright protections and the like, even if you are trying to stream otherwise innocent content.  Sometimes it just falls into the same firewalled category.(vpns and the like).  Similar to how Downloader wasn't included in the Fire OS.

Out of the box, Fire and Roku are designed to be simple plug and play and to introduce people to streaming/cutting the cord.  Each can be configured to do much more than designed, but such instructions just can't be explained or promoted on their official support forums, as I am sure you understand.  You should continue your research and then make your decision accordingly.

Roku is much more relationship based and relies on it's partner agreements to provide the sheer number of channels and premium subscriptions it offers its end users. (It is more cross platform).  Fire concentrates on its Amazon services, hence all the sideloading of apps/channels.  Thus, more protections in place and "lack of features", as some may call it; I certainly don't, exist to protect these relationships on the Roku OS.  I certainly can't fault them for it.

I don't think @renojim meant to imply you are a "pirate" ; just that if that is one's intentions or perceptions of a streaming device, Roku should not, nor be expected to,  simply provide the means by which to accomplish it.  I could be wrong, though, he could be calling you a pirate. Smiley Happy

Good luck, just find something that works for you easily and satisfies your streaming needs.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
renojim

If you're using a VPN to access Locast or anything else that you wouldn't have access to from you location then that's tantamount to pirating, so I guess I am calling you a pirate.  At the very least you're attempting to circumvent Roku's, Locast's and I imagine many others' Terms of Service.  As you've figured out, Roku is not the device for you.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos