Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device randomly restarts all the time

Multiple times a day while watching any app my roku will restart completly . I'm sick of it . Why is this happening?

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
jdw78

Re: Device randomly restarts all the time

Mine too.  Roku Ultra.  Continually reboots.  Sound comes first for about 5 seconds and then picture comes on for about a half second. Then nothing for about 5 seconds and then the cycle starts all over.  During the reboot the LG tv displays "This app will now restart to free up more memory."

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Idontknowwtf wrote:

Multiple times a day while watching any app my roku will restart completly . I'm sick of it . Why is this happening?

What is your Roku device model number and OS version/build? Settings > System > About

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Cableman

Mine has been doing the same thing for about a week now

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Cableman,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

I'd be happy to take a closer look to see how we can help get you up and running. Can you please provide us with more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using?  How are you powering the device? Is it plugged into the TV USB port, or is it plugged into the wall outlet with the provided cables? In addition, have you tried using another HDMI port on your TV as well as trying your device on another TV to see if you are seeing the same issue?

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Hanz
Reel Rookie

I am having this same issue; it is a Roku 4k+ plugged into the wall outlet with the Roku power adapter. the unit was just reset the display and now it does a complete power restart.

I watch about 10 mins of a show sometimes a lot less and it goes into a power reset.

Is this 4k+ a bad product?

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Hanz,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We'd like to gather more information about the issue you're running into. Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device? What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Hanz
Reel Rookie

This is a good question I have been testing it and found it happens real fast when  I am on Prime streaming.

when I play back some of the movies I have on a server I have no issue. the unit is up to date on software rev. and I started thinking about some others stating power issues with the tv sets.

I was using the power block that came with the unit and replaced it with a unit I have laying around for a cell phone I do not use.

that seems to have corrected the issue, since I replace the power block I have not had an issue. not sure for how long but that is what I have found to date.

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @Hanz

Thank you for the inquiry!

Does the issue only occur on Prime cross other channels installed on your Roku device?

Have you tried removing the affected channel Prime and then re-install again? If not, we suggest starting there. In some cases, removing the affected channel and then re-installing it may help. Restart your device before re-adding the channel back in to ensure the process is successful. We recommend doing this through the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If there is no Power submenu, proceed to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link for more information: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
DaveWood
Binge Watcher

am also having this issue on two of my Roku TV's  one is a recent purchased ONN Tv Model H507X from Walmart it is also updated to 11.5,  and also on my older Hisense Tv Model Number 32H4030.  This issue happens on pretty much almost every channel app,  some times as soon as I enter the app , sometimes just after I start a movie or show, and at least one during the movie or show that I am watching,  it happens when the tv has just been turned on or even after its been on for hours,  It has happened twice today just on my Hi-sense tv  while I was trying to watch a move on Netflix,  and also on Disney+,  it happens on Amazon Prime Video, HBO MAX, ABC, ABC30, Tubi, The Roku Channel, YouTube Tubi, Peacock, Paramount +, Pluto Tv, Starz Showtime anytime,  Weather Channel, and Weather nation, Watch TCM, The Criterion Channel, Movieland TV (all the time several times during the movies) Free Vee, and also while watching the Antenna input for local TV channels, there are also many more that I can list but I risk making a long list.  

This is an irritating issue, I would appreciate some guidance on how to correct this issue, Please.

0 Kudos