Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JCGoodwin
Roku Guru

Closed captions keeps getting enabled on multiple channels

I've had a similar issue lately. Almost every time I open a live-TV app on my Hisense R8 Roku TV, the closed captioning is switched on automatically. I've tried a system restart, which hasn't helped. I've also removed the app and installed it again. Really wondering what's caused this.

My subscription to the app is ending soon, but I've noticed this issue on another as well.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Closed captions keeps getting enabled on multiple channels

Hi @JCGoodwin,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

We would like to know more about how we can assist you with your concern. Could you please tell us more about the closed caption issue you've encountered? In addition, is this issue isolated to the Live-TV channel, or are there any channels affected too?

With more detailed information, we'll be able to assist further.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JCGoodwin
Roku Guru

As mentioned, I have a Hisense R8 Roku TV. Sometimes when I use my live app, Frndly, the closed captioning is switched on automatically, which didn't happen until recently. I haven't noticed this with my on-demand app. It's not exclusive to Frndly, however; I recently tried using Xumo for a few minutes and the captioning was switched on automatically. Then I got rid of the app.

Removing and re-installing Frndly doesn't work, nor does a system restart of the TV. Thinking about a factory reset of everything.

0 Kudos
JCGoodwin
Roku Guru

Side note: It looks like I started a new thread here. I thought I was replying to one. I definitely didn't create the title.

0 Kudos
JCGoodwin
Roku Guru

In case anyone else has this issue, a Roku representative mentioned that I needed to turn captions off via the Accessibility menu under Settings on the Home screen.

EDIT: The captions were being turned on automatically by an apparent bug in a casting app.

0 Kudos