Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mstraut
Channel Surfer

Cannot factory reset Roku Ultra

Hello!  I have a Roku Ultra.  I can no longer connect it to my tv.  The Roku light turns on on the front of the device, but it does not respond to anything.  The light does not flash when I press buttons on the remote.  It has also been getting really hot to the touch when it is plugged in, but it never gets a red light on the front saying that it is overheating.  I have tried everything that I have seen online to fix this problem.  I have even tried doing a factory reset by pressing and holding the reset button on the bottom of the device.  The device never factory resets, and the light on the front never flashes when I hold the reset button.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Cannot factory reset Roku Ultra

Hi @Mstraut,

A warm welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand you're having a problem with the Roku Ultra since it is not responding through your TV. We're happy to help. Please try to use the regular remote to switch the input of your TV. If it doesn't work, please try to switch the HDMI output at the back of your TV and ensure that you have properly plugged in all the cables.

If the problem still persists, please keep us posted.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mstraut
Channel Surfer

Hello @RokuJohnB,

Thank you for asking.  Yes I have tried that.  I have tried everything that the Roku support video suggests.  I have also tried what a lot of other videos suggested.  Nothing has worked.  The only thing that I still need to do is a factory reset.  I have tried pressing and holding the button on the bottom of the device, but it will not reset the device.  Do you know how to get it to work?

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Mstraut,

Thanks for keeping us posted on this issue with the Roku Ultra!

You seem to have done a ton of really great troubleshooting. We will be glad to assist you further with this issue. Please try to press and hold the reset button for ten seconds. If it didn't successfully reset the Roku device, please try another HDMI cable, and we will see if that fixes the issue that you're experiencing.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mstraut
Channel Surfer

@RokuJohnB 

Okay I tried to reset the Roku with the reset button like you said.  Nothing happened when I did that.

I also tried a different HDMI cable, but it did not work either.  My tv does not even recognize that my Roku is plugged into it with either cable.  I tried also tried other spots to plug the HDMI into, but no response.

What else can I try?

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Mstraut,

Thanks for providing us with updates!

As a last option, have you tried connecting your Roku Ultra to a different TV to see if you're to see the Roku interface?

We'll wait for your response.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mstraut
Channel Surfer

Hello @RokuTakashi,

I just tried it on another display, and the display did not recognize that it was plugged in.  What else can I do?  Are there any warranty options that I could pursue?

Thanks,

Michael

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Mstraut, the warranty is for one year.

Step by step instructions for returns and warranty replacements | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@Mstraut-

I have always read that in order to perform a Factory reset, the reset button needed to be held in for a minimum of 30 seconds.  Unless something has changed recently, a 10 second press, as mentioned earlier, would result in a restart, not a full Factory reset.

If successful, you'll need to set your Ultra up all over again as though it were a new unit.  That will include re-pairing your remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Mstraut
Channel Surfer

@makaiguy 

I had heard that too.  I have tried it at one point.  Unfortunately still nothing happens.

0 Kudos