Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jag_man653
Binge Watcher

Cannot factory reset Roku Ultra

Several years ago I got the Roku Ultra because our ageing Samsung TV didn't support Amazon Prime. Recently it stopped working, probably because the Visa card for monthly payments had to be cancelled due to suspected fraudulent use. So my question is how do I get Roku working again. I've read some previous post, including this one, but remain puzzled. For example, post say to key in carious things but I don't know exactly where to do this.. on the TV? at my computer?

Can someone here point the way forward?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Cannot factory reset Roku Ultra

Hi @jag_man653,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We'd like to investigate further this issue that you're experiencing with the Roku Ultra. Could you elaborate more about the problem that you had with the Roku Ultra?

We'll wait for your response.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jag_man653
Binge Watcher

In a nutshell, my problem is not being able to watch Amazon Prime. In contrast, I can watch Netflix.

The most obvious difference is that the Netflix is a preinstalled app on my elderly Samsung TV, while Amazon Prime is not. I got the Roku Ultra quite some time ago to solve this problem. It worked just fine for a long time, then recently it stopped working... I can no longer watch Amazon Prime.

I believe I mentioned earlier that the credit card on my Roku account was out dated, and I thought that might be the problem. I no longer think it is because my account seems to be up to date and I have not received any notices from Roku.

Reading various posts on this forum suggested "restarting the Roku," but I do not know how to do that.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@jag_man653, you can restart a Roku device by briefly unplugging the power and plugging it back in or navigating to "System restart" found under Settings->System or Settings->System->Power depending on the model of your Roku device.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
jag_man653
Binge Watcher

Thanks. Unfortunately it didn't resolve my issue... sitll no Amazon Prime app.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@jag_man653 first, there's no requirement to have a valid CC attached to your Roku account. Your Roku device will work just fine without one. I haven't had a valid CC on my account for years.

Now, you've asked two questions. One is a misbehaving app/channel (Prime Video). You also asked about performing a factory reset. Before doing a complete reset, let's try to resolve the Prime Video problem first. You need to remove the channel, reboot the Roku, then add the channel back in. To remove the channel, move the cursor on the screen over the Prime Video channel then press the * button on the remote. One of the options will be to remove the channel. Go ahead and do that. When it's done, either unplug the Roku for 30 seconds or use the menu option @renojim mentioned to restart the Roku. Once it's rebooted, then add Prime Video back and it should hopefully work and allow you to log back into Prime.

If removing the channel does resolve the problem, you can then try a factory reset. Remember that this will wipe everything from this specific Roku and you have to set it up as if it's brand new. It keeps the current version of the Roku OS installed, so you don't have to update it again. You can factory reset by finding the recessed button (inside a small hole on the back) and hold it for a minimum of 30 seconds. Not one second less. There's also a menu option to perform a factory reset. Once that is done, you set it up like a brand new player, linking it to your Roku user account. When it is linked, it will automatically reinstall all channels you have on your account (and Roku usually throws a few more on that you may want to remove once it's done).

After that, everything should work correctly. If there's still problems, you may have a defective Roku. If it's still under the one year warranty, you should be able to get a free replacement. If it's out of warranty, then reach back out to @RokuJohnB and see if he can assist.

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
makaiguy

@jag_man653-

Is the cancelled credit card the same payment method you used to pay for Amazon Prime?  Might your Prime account have expired as a result?

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos

The hdmi ports are unable to recognize my roku modem ultra after 5 years if streaming. I can watch prime video. That's it. I was going to buy a sale price 55" hisense tv instead of the headache of not being able to stream movies whenever I want

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Mymindisclear34,

Welcome to the Roku Community!
We'd like to investigate this issue further with your Roku Ultra. May we know how you are powering your Roku Ultra? Have you tried switching HDMI outputs on the back of your TV? Are you selecting the correct source or input for your TV?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos