Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Re: How to get 4 columns back?

I have never seen four columns on any of my Roku devices and I've been using them for years. How do we get this?

0 Kudos
wildsprite
Roku Guru

Re: Can I get the 4x4 grid back?

@Quevellan 

I hope this is for real and not something they were just told to say to make us happy. that would be most unfortunate.

deckard2019
Reel Rookie

I'd also like to add that the channel locations are no longer persisting for me. When the grid reverted to 3x3, I noticed that the Live TV channel somehow got placed first. I then moved my 3 most used channels to the top row. I've now reordered them multiple times, but Live TV keeps getting bumped to the first position.

0 Kudos
audiocandy
Reel Rookie

My Ultra updated to 13.0.0 build 24020-46 on April 12th and there is still no option to turn the 4X4 grid back on. This happened a couple months ago too and it took quite a while to get it back. VERY annoying for sure!

Scott-Y
Channel Surfer

The update to code 13.x that was to bing us ability to select 3x or 4x across DID NOT.  

what’s the plan RoKU team??    Your users want 4x   Majority of users have more than a 12” tv so those three huge space tiles are just a wast of screen real estate    

Scott-Y
Channel Surfer

Guys; I want to thank the Roku team -I am now getting the option to move to "smaller" tiles (4x across) and its fantastic!  

interesting while some went to code train 13, some are still giving me 4x and they are on 12.55.   

But thanks RoKU!  

0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Since upgrading to 0S 13 I get the option for Large and Small tiles on some of my Rokus but not others, even though they are running the same software version. It should be available on all of them at this point.

Four icons that are smaller is so much better because I can get all 14 of my apps to show on my Home Screen at once without having to scroll up or down anymore.

And I want to be able to do this on every single one of my Roku players, not just some of them that have the option added. Make sure to push this update to add this new setting to all Rokus.

0 Kudos
audiocandy
Reel Rookie

I finally got this feature back on both my Ultra and Premier today. It sure took a while!

0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

I've got it on my Ultra and Express 4K but not on my Streaming Stick 4K.

0 Kudos
rfmuth
Binge Watcher

The 4 tile grid was, originally, sent out randomly as a test, and then removed without warning. Word from Roku staffers was that it would return at some point permanently, either as part of Software version 13.00, or as an independent tweak, unrelated to the version of build number. That time has apparently arrived as more and more of us are seeing it on at least some of our devices. We have also found that it is an independent tweak and not dependent on the Software version or the build number.

When present, the option is found under "Settings" -> "Home screen" -> "Tile size."
The options are "Larger" or "Smaller," with the choice of smaller giving you 4 tiles across.

Various updates are sent out rather randomly it appears. My devices do not typically receive the same updates, including software version or build number at the same time. Your device is supposed to check for updates every time you "turn it on" but you can also force it to check at any time. I often find that this manual update will find and install one or more updates of some kind -- even when performed shortly after tuning on my device and its own check having just been completed. It is only during a manual check that you will get to see what, if anything, is being updated.

To perform a manual update check, go to "Settings" -> "System" -> "Software Update" -> "Check now"

Note that you will see the date and time of the last check, as well as the date and time of the last "update" although the latter apparently refers to an actual "software" update, but not other updates. Many things can be updated besides the version and build, such as updating various apps (channels) and some minor items they do not name, but when being installed you will see them listed in cutesy terms like "fine tuning the warp drive" or "enhancing shields." These unnamed enhancements seem to be what add the various menu options that pop in from time to time, and also adds the "Tile size" option that so many of us are looking for.

I hope that helps add some understanding, though it may not do much for enhancing your patience as you wait for the "Tile size" option to arrive on your device.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.