Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I change Roku accounts without factory reset?

Jump to solution

Is there a way to sign in to a different Roku account without having to do a factory reset and having to setup all my apps and services all over again?

I'm asking is because I recently acquired a slightly used Roku TV that had 1 previous owner. This owner neglected to sign out reset his TV to factory settings before giving it to me, so the TV is still tied to his Roku account. It would be nice to have the option to use this Roku Account that I created today to have the option to rent some non-free movies on the Roku Channel using my payment details.  Any help more experienced Roku users could provide would be much appreciated! 

In retrospect I probably should have asked my brother to help me do a factory reset while he was hooking it up and before I downloaded and signed in to my various streaming channels, but I was so excited to try it being a first time Smart TV User that it slipped my mind.  Sometimes I can be such an Airhead!  LOL!  Any help that more experienced Roku Smart TV Users could Provide would be much Appreciated!

P.S. Here is my Specific Roku TV Model information: Roku TV: 8112X

TCL Model: 32S321

Serial Number: YKOOV0087991

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can I change Roku accounts without factory reset?

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, the answer is no. The only way to change the Roku account the device is assigned to is a factory reset. 

You can log into many subscription channels with different credentials, but The Roku Channel is tied to the Roku user account the device is linked to.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
atc98092

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, the answer is no. The only way to change the Roku account the device is assigned to is a factory reset. 

You can log into many subscription channels with different credentials, but The Roku Channel is tied to the Roku user account the device is linked to.

Dan

Gaillegg

Jump to solution

How do I change the email address on my roku

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Gaillegg wrote:

How do I change the email address on my roku

You can change the email address on your Roku account at https://my.roku.com. That updates the account itself. The email address shown on your Roku device should update the next time it communicates with the Roku servers. 

If you want to change the user account on a Roku device, you have to do a factory reset and configure it with the new account. All your existing installed channels will be removed and whatever channels attached to the new account will be installed. You will have to add any personal login credentials again for channels that require a login, such as Netflix.

Dan

0 Kudos
Edgar13712

Jump to solution

I want change my account before are [personal information removed] now is [personal information removed]

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Edgar13712,

Thanks for your inquiry about updating your Roku account email address.

You may update your email address by logging in to your account at my.roku.com then go to the "Account Information" section and click update.

We would recommend taking a look at our Support page for more information about updating your email address: How do I change the email address or password for ... - Roku

We hope that's helpful.

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
jlajr

Jump to solution

Probably won't help original poster, but it is possible, at least on the TCL Roku TV I'm using, to use Guest Mode, which "lets your visitors log in and enjoy their own subscription channels..."