Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cordcutternewbi
Streaming Star

Can I add a physical keyboard & mouse?

I'm interested in getting a Roku player.

I've watched YouTube videos & it appears that both the Express 4K & the Streaming Stick 4K use the micro USB connector. Nowdays, it's hard to find adapters for micro USB to USB-C or micro USB to USB-A.

I'm not sure what it is called but it goes between the wall adapter & the power cord & has multiple inputs like for a SD card, flash drive, etc.

The Ultra has a USB-A input. I know that the Ultra can display media files via the USB input but is it possible to add a physical keyboard & physical mouse to the Ultra instead of using a virtual keyboard?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Can I add a physical keyboard & mouse?

Hi @cordcutternewbi,

Thanks for the inquiry and for keeping in touch!

A few things to take note of: the USB input on the Roku Ultra is intended only for accessing files outside and cannot be used or connected to a physical keyboard or mouse.

You can get more help here from our Support page if you need anything else: Support

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Unfortunately, I don't believe Roku's will work with a real keyboard and/or mouse. You can do that with Fire TV and Android/Google TV devices.

Using an OTG cable, you can use Ethernet adapters with non-Ultra models, as long as it uses certain chipsets. I happen to be using an Amazon adapter originally bought for a Fire TV with an Express 4K+.

0 Kudos
cordcutternewbi
Streaming Star

Thank you for the quick reply!

By "certain chipsets" do you mean the OTG cable or the Roku streaming player?

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

By chipsets, I meant the chipset used for the Ethernet. The Roku only recognizes and has drivers for certain types. It's useful if you have access to Ethernet, and the WiFi is poor. There is a Roku support article about it here:

https://support.roku.com/article/360058027813 

0 Kudos