Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Streaming Star

Any info about TCL Roku TV’s having cybersecurity issues?

Jump to solution

I noticed sometime ago that Costco stopped carrying TCL. This caused me to look into why they stopped selling them. I am aware that they commonly do just change suppliers and contracts for various reasons. However, they stopped carrying them abruptly and would not comment when I reached out.  

During my research of this topic, I discovered a handful of online articles claiming that TCL (a Chinese company) smart/Roku TV’s had some cybersecurity issues, including back door remote access via firmware to software, settings, microphones, etc. for data collection beyond what was specified in their user agreements,

This was potentially alarming information, so I am wondering if anyone else knows anything about this.  

Just to be clear - I am not personally claiming any of this, just looking for more information.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Any info about TCL Roku TV’s having cybersecurity issues?

Jump to solution

@948493 

I believe Tom's Guide is fairly reliable.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@948493 

I believe Tom's Guide is fairly reliable.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The article posted by DB is 2 years old. Can you provide recent and up to date links stating it is a current issue? If that was so true how come Target, Walmart, Best Buy BJ's and Amazon all sell TCL Roku TV's? 

0 Kudos
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thank you.  I find it troubling that while they discovered that TCL discretely patched the port access, the article states that TCL logged in via a back door that is still troubling.  This was more info than I had seen before, but doesn’t put my concerns to rest.  

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

But unless you can show me current and up-to-date articles that the problem still exist I don’t understand your concern? You’re acting like all TCL Roku TVs were pulled from the market. 

0 Kudos
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Regarding it being a current issue:

The article states that there are still troubling backdoor issues and that TCL has not publicly addressed this, which to me implies not so great things...  Further- If no one has published an update beyond this, the it is still an issue.  

Regarding who sells TCL:

I stated in my initial comments that Costco stopped selling them abruptly, but did not comment as to why.  I draw no firm conclusions that the reason was linked to the security issues, but as mentions,  I am aware that many retailers still sell TCL   I doubt they are liable for related security issues.  Further, this issue has not been widely publicized, unlike related shady issues from Chinese manufacturers like Lenovo were in past years  

I found the basis for this topic during my search efforts about two years ago.  I just remembered it today, so I decided to post here to see if anyone had new/relevant information.  The Tom’s article DOES provide an update, but ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT provide closure.  

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Once again the article from Tom‘s is two years old. Is there any up-to-date and current information that you can post in link to to describe what you’re just talking about? Please post the links here. DB did but it’s 2 years old. Once again if it was such an issue do you think I could go to Target right now and buy a TCL Roku TV? I own two TCL Roku TVs. My cousin just bought one from Walmart. They aren’t banned and there’s no current up-to-date information. Which means everything has been settled. You say you read these things but you haven’t posted any links. Your comment was also reported

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Here’s an article from over two years ago but it’s also describes that it’s TCL TVs that run android not Roku. Android televisions allow for the installation of APK files. The Roku operating system does not

https://securityledger.com/2020/12/dhs-looking-into-cyber-risk-from-tcl-smart-tvs/amp/ 

0 Kudos
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Interaction with you is like talking to a brick wall.  Actually read before you write please.  I am not saying they are banned or pulled from stores. READ, so you don’t look like such a fool.  You are exhausting to interact with, because you don’t seem to see the full scope of things. You are fixating on a nonsensical point.  

Most importantly, if your not worried then no sweat, leave the thread.  Move along with your life.  Some people want definitive answers if possible, thus the reason for the topic.  You have no answers, just tangential muck, like a cancer.  

TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I posted a link. You have not. The link clearly states that this was on TCL Android TV’s using an APK. This is a Roku community. Not a TCL community. The cyber security issue you’re speaking of did not affect TCL Roku TVs. If I am wrong please post an article saying as such

0 Kudos